TR2 Tail Lights

Hi All

Can anyone tell me how the Lucas 549 tail lights on the rear of a 1955 TR2 should sit to be focussed correctly? The rear of my car has been completely rebuilt so I have no reference.

i.e. Should the lights sit parallel, angled in slightly or angled out? I am assuming that the metal of the rear wing/rear panel sets this angle, or was there an angle on the original lens covers?

Should there be a gasket/seal between the metal base and the lens cover? I know there is a rubber gasket between the body and the base.

Also

Should there be a gasket between the centre brake/number plate light and the body Lucas L564? Should the metal part of this light fitting be chrome or left just metal?

Regards

Ade

Photo hopefully shows how the L549 should sit. Rubber gasket between body & chrome, & also between chrome & lens

post-12009-0-62006400-1511793127_thumb.jpg

The bulb is automatically in the correct position (focused) on insertion.

By the way I do some excellent LED replacement bulbs specifically for the L549 unit, & can offer a (I believe) unique bulb which acts as Tail, Stop, & Indicator on TR2's & 3's.

Cheers

Bob.

Edited by Lebro

Thanks guys,

It's the angle of the light base to the body I am concerned about as this can skew the light in or out.

Should the lights be parallel or skewed?

Bob I will be investing in your LED light units in the near future once I have a car body lol Cheers

Ade

I will post a couple of photos to help with my discription

http://s463.photobucket.com/user/apj2007/library/Rear%20Lights

Edited by AJ2014

Lamps should not be skewed, but should both be at 90° to the front / back direction,

Imagine they are both mounted on a flat sheet of metal running from one side of the car to the other,

like in this photo, but wider

post-12009-0-37635600-1511803796_thumb.jpg

This is a demo jig comparing bulbs to led bulbs !

This one again shows the lack of any "skew" on the lamp unit

post-12009-0-86586500-1511803668_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Bob.

P.S.

Tom these are normally "plug & play" ! I would like to know why you had to do any mods. ?

Edited by Lebro

PM sent Tom Thanks

Bob that second photo and your explanation shows it perfectly, Thanks

Your LED conversion looks a huge improvement, I will PM you for more details and have a read of your thread on it again.

Any idea where I can buy the gasket for between the lens and the fitting please?

Cheers

Ade

Edited by AJ2014

Cheers again Bob,

I should have gone to spec savers! :blink:

The gasket for the centre light (L564) doesn't appear to be available so I will have to get some rubber and make one :P

Regards

Ade

I keep an old inner tube for just such occasions ?!

• 8 months later...

I am a happy user of Lebro LED tail/stop lights.

I have fitted a TR2 centre stop lamp to the TR3A with Bob's LED bulb, and just to wake the following motorists up I have also added a strobe relay to the centre stop only. When you press the pedal the lamp strobes for a few seconds, flashes for a few seconds and then remains on - until brake pedal is released.

Cheap and simple, the size of a matchbox. All you do is add 4 bullet connectors and it can be wired in on negative earth cars without cutting any of the original wiring. Simple to remove if you cannot be doing with it.

Item https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GS-100A-Flash-Strobe-Controller-Box-Flasher-Module-for-LED-Brake-Tail-Stop-Light/302769996252?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Peter W