So when did it all begin?

It was the thing to do back then to a sidescreen car, my old TR2 which was originally a long door car had been turned into a "Modsports" style back then and was still like it when I bought it. All fibre outer panels and huge banded wheels. with flared arches.

Stuart.

my tr2 001.jpg

my tr2 005.jpg

my tr2 006.jpg

my tr2 007.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 12/10/2021 at 9:47 AM, Julian Stephens said:

Hello Rob

I took this shot of the Futcher 6 as it approached Fordwater at full chat. I am unsure of the year, but I'm sure someone will have kept a record of the numbers.

DenisFutcher-Goodwood-Fordwater.jpg.16a4b70028766df8980551e3ca288745.jpg

Regards

Julian Stephens    TR Register member number 918

St. Austell

Julian,

That's fantastic. Thank you so much. I'll check , but think this was 1980. John Gray took FTD and Dad took 1st in teh Std TR6 class. 1:53 or so.. on those tyres!

Would love to see more pictures of that era and particularly of Dad and Julian Furniss's TR3s if anyone has them.

Rob Futcher

I was able to spend Christmas with my family and after some searching, Dad found this picture - his FTD run at Goodwood, May 1978. Does anyone have any more pictures of Goodwood from 1978 through the early 80's to post? I'd love to track this car down. It was sold to a guy in Salisbury in 1980 and as far as I know has never seen the light of day since, although it does show up in the DVLA registration check.

Dennis Futcher May 1978.jpg

Edited by Rob Futcher

Hello again Rob

If you PM me with an email address, I will send you a selection of my Goodwood images.

You asked for shots of the Julian Furniss wide-bodied TR and here they are:

JulianFurniss-1.jpg.5f8fca24194033abd74a09d6a799a1b2.jpg

Leaving the start line.

JulianFurniss-2.jpg.241a65d04918751d540e6cc5729f15d4.jpg

Approaching Fordwater on 10th May 1981.

This one might be of interest to Hamish:

IMG_0068.jpg.954191d41b0ce444d5121ec08ed2a1fe.jpg

The start line in 1976.

TR3A 152ANP driven by John Davies. TR4A DTJ104E still taxed and MOT'd. YWK50 driven by Tony Thompson. TR5 TYR731F no record after 1984.

Regards

Julian Stephens    TR Register member number 918

St. Austell

Edited by Julian Stephens
Dates amended

That’s great thanks Julian. didn’t know Tony did circuit racing in it 

thought it was just sprints and hill climbs. 

2 hours ago, Julian Stephens said:

Hamish 

I assume Tony owned the TR at that time.

It was not a race, it was the TR Register sprint meeting at Goodwood.

I have record of seeing YWK 50 in St. Austell on 22nd April 1973. I believe this was in the car park at Truro & District Motor Club's Hillclimb meeting at Tregrehan.

Julian

Thanks for the clarification 

H

• 3 weeks later...

The picture that Julian took of Dad in the TR6 was 10th May 1981. Below is another one of Dad (Dennis) about to head on to the track.

Two years earlier, 3rd May, '79 is a picture of Dad and Mum (Diana) in UAC722 followed by Julian Furniss in what became known as his 'orange monster' on the very first day it turned a wheel. Diane Makins (Pringle) looks on.

Dennis Goodwood 10-05-1981 SW  2.jpg

Futchers & R1 Goodwood trials  03-05-1979 SW.jpg