RETRO CLASSIC TYRES

I know tyres are a subject that's been covered many times, but my 185/70 R15 tyres need replacing, and the consensus seems to be that the original 165 R15 size gives best results.However, the price of the recommended Michelins is rather eyewatering, Vredesteins less costly but still not cheap. Alternatives that come up on internet searches include the Retro Classic (which I believe is made by Nanking). Does anybody have any experience of these, or any other options?

Hi Michael,

welcome to the forum.

I have used on my 4A the Vredstein Classic sprint which worked very well and am now using the T track which for me works equally well.

I'm sure there is a difference as they are £50 apart.

The Toyo 330 work well as do the Hankook

Have a look here https://www.camskill.co.uk/m53b0s408p0/Car_Tyres_-_MPV_Tyres_-_People_Carrier_Tyres_-_15_inch_R15_inch_-_165_80_15_165_80R15_R15_inch_-_165_15_165R15

Roger

Continental ContiContact CT22 under £50 with period tread and sidewalls, look really good but not great in the wet, also T not HR rating. I am not aware of a tyre that is really cheap, good in the wet and dry and looks the part with an HR or higher rating. It's about what's most important to you.

I needed 4 tyres on a limited budget so went for the CT22 with new Michelin tubes and avoid the raindrops !

Regards,

John

Hi John,

I had the CT22 on my 4A before the vredstein Classic sprints and couldn't wait to get rid of them.

I do a lot of touring (not racing) and found they squealed excessively in the dry. In the wet they behaved themselves but I did not take liberties.

The Toyo and Hankook are a little cheaper but in my mind a better tyre.

But then it is also a very personal thing. I really want Firestone 560 tyres but they do not exist here.

Roger

Hello,Do you have Maxxis over there. My wife has a set on her 3A and I have a set on my tr6 and they did a G.E.A.R.(Golden Era Auto Racing) day on the 6 (Regularity) and they work well for both of us. Ordinary looking tread and VERY ordinary looking sidewalls but otherwise very good.Regards,Michael.

I have bumped into The Blockley Tyres Co.at the last two Trade shows, they are very enthusiastic about their Tyres.

Might be worth checking out.

Cheers,

Conrad.

Hi Michael, I've ran on Vredesteins for more than 10 years. They're alright, but not brilliant. Years ago I ran XAS's on a BMW, expensive, but a long life and reliable performance. Vredesteins are £113.70 on mytyres.co.uk.

Austin

These are supposed to be good for road holding and change a 3.7 axle ratio to effectively 4.1

So quicker through the gears ?

http://ears.co.uk/tyres/maxsport-tarmac-tyres/5034-185-55-15-maxsport-rb5-rally-tyre.html

Probably not permitted on anything other than full-on stage rallies, and even then not for cars built before the 1970s ?

Cheers

Alec

All e marked fully road legal and MSA tyre listed (1b)

So can be used on the road if you wanted !

And competition that allow 1bs

What would be the restriction on pre 1970s Alec ?

Besides it was a bit Tonge in cheek anyway.

These are supposed to be good for road holding and change a 3.7 axle ratio to effectively 4.1

So quicker through the gears ?

http://ears.co.uk/tyres/maxsport-tarmac-tyres/5034-185-55-15-maxsport-rb5-rally-tyre.html

Life style choice I think......

They would scare the competition and I guess the scrutineers would have a chuckle.

Will you have to wear a baseball cap the wrong way round and speak in expletives?

Peter W

Will you have to wear a baseball cap the wrong way round and speak in expletives?

Peter W

I think the only requirement is diamond studded ear - given the supplier.

Very happy with the Maxxis MA510 VICTRA 87T 165/80/15 fitted to my TR6 ...and cheap as chips compared to others