I am in the process of ordering the paint for my restoration, I have found out that triumph used the code 19 for pre 63 and post 63 cars both being different colours. Pre 63 being creamier.

The rover paint range that I am looking at seems to be pre 63

Are their any further codes that will help me obtain the correct colour.

Thanks Mark

Spa White was the ‘refrigerator ‘ white

Triumph ‘new’ white was the creamier one. The early shade having more yellow in the formula than the post 1974 shade.

I have formulas for all 3 I think........

Tom

I'm not sure I'd trust a paint code to be reproduced accurately even if it, and the formula, were available. Do you have a painted piece in good condition you could have your vendor scan and mix to order?

Let's wait for Stuart to come in -- he's pretty good at knowing the sheltered places likely to have unmolested original paint.

I had it formulated from an original car, underneath the top dash crash pad.

Pretty sure it’s correct.......

But hey ho

That's probably the best out there, Tom.

Where were you when I was looking for a formula for early-Jaguar BRG (the near black one)? :)

That's probably the best out there, Tom.

Where were you when I was looking for a formula for early-Jaguar BRG (the near black one)? :)

HAA code?. As in the XK120/140/150 colour? Got that formulated too

I had it formulated from an original car, underneath the top dash crash pad.

Pretty sure it’s correct.......

But hey ho

Tom

Nice one but? I seem to remember someone showed a pic of four new cars and none was the same

Who knows, maybe!

If you get a colour mixed from different manufacturers you will find they could be a different shade.

Spies Hecker, Lechler etc are pretty good at matches. If you get de beer or glasurit etc they tend to be a shade different.

Same as solid, solvent base and water base.....

It's a mind field ????????

Hi Mark,

not sure you are right there.

Code 19 was TRiumph 'New' white which is like appliance white. Later TR4 and TR4A

Before this it was Spa white - no code number - and as you say was a little creamier, not quite a glarey.

Roger

Hi Roger the info above I got from triumph club, a member in France says paint shops over there have two colours linked to code 19

Hi Mark,

I still think they are not quite right. The earlier 'Spa' white, according to lists in one of BP's books (and not scouting for Boys), along with many other early colours did not have a code number. Code 19 started with TRiumph White.

However none of this matters as long as you get the colour/shade you like.

Roger

Hi Mark

My 1958 TR3A is the creamier white called " Old English White" and I think it is a warmer colour than the Spa white as mentioned and I get a lot of comments from the public on how nice the colour is.

But in the long run, it is your car so have what you want, it sure suits me.

Dave

Hi Dave,

I must agree with you. My car is also a version of Old English White.

I don;t know the code as the garage that painted it did not record the information but it is not a TRiumph colour.

On a simple colour swatch it is almost 'mushroom' it is quite brown for what appears to be white.

I like it

Roger

My 1970 TR6 is code 19 Triumph White and it is definitely a creamy white. As for shade variation, it happens a lot in my experience, I've seen other Triumph White cars which look close but not quite the same as mine. Who is to say which is factory correct?

When getting my GT6 resprayed recently, the paint supplier offered two versions of Triumph Pimento, one of which was more red and the other more orange. Which is correct? Who knows, as even if the colour is factory correct when applied, it will change with age. For that reason I decided not to be too precious about originality when choosing the shade of paint and went for the redder one, which I happened to like best.

Nigel