There is a Swallow Doretti on ebay at the moment which competed in the Mille Miglia last year. How can this be? as far as I know Swallow Dorettis never competed back in the day. It has a start price of £50,000 and bidding has started so the magic is working.

Cheers Richard

As far as I too am aware, no Swallow Doretti ever competed in the Mille Miglia . . . . . and nor could I in past researches find any suggestion that any Doretti was ever so much as put forward for a provisional entry application . . .

So from a historical perspective I can see no grounds for allowing a Doretti to enter the current competition, it's not as though the Doretti was a reworked TR2 variant for example, it's a different model altogether which happens to share the same power unit.

There is the argument that the SD qualifies for membership of the TR Register, so it's a first cousin TR2, and I guess that might be some sort of persuader for the current organisers, but then where do you draw the line . . . . Peerless, Warwick, Doretti etc etc ?

On the other hand, we are talking Italy, and from my past experience everything in Italy has its price . . . .up to and including any virgin still remaining virgo intacto, so I guess a MM entry ought to be available with a reasonable bag of shekels hidden in a brown paper wrapper ?

And I suppose, the Doretti might just be a tad more authentic in its own way than many of the so-called 'historic' TRs . . . . . some of which are about as pukka as the proverbial pork chop at a barmitzvah . . . . .

Cheers,

Alec

Edited by Alec Pringle

There is the argument that the SD is qualifies for membership of the TR Register, so it's a first cousin TR2, and I guess that might be some sort of persuader for the current organisers, but then where do you draw the line . . . . Peerless, Warwick, Doretti etc etc ?...........................................

.........Motorbikes, bicycles, typewriters and bra's :P :P :P

You mean a Doretti DOESNT qualify for membership in the Register now?

You cannot be serious!, as you love to quote, Alec.

Fer cryin out loud, lets open the tent a little. We have a Doretti Registrar, yknow.

Hi Don,

re-read Alec's post I think he is saying that it may qualify being a cousin of the TR2.

It is within the TRR fold.

Roger

Ah -- OK, Roger. I should have mentally converted it "is qualified for". I dropped the "is" and kept the "qualifies" in my reading of that post.

All good then.

but the first post says competed last year,so must be easy to find out.

if so then could make it again. Although if never in period then i don't see why. As Roger says money talks

• 1 year later...

Hi Ken!  Mine is 1041 (1954) so I’m guessing this 1955 model was a bit later on.  This “special” category for the Mille Miglia makes me wonder what one actually has to shell out to play with the big boys at the Mille.  Any idea of the bottom line cost (excluding transport and car prep) to participate?  And thanks again for your service as past Registrar!

Cheers

Dan

• 2 months later...

“This year’s news, the introduction of the GOLD fee (registration fee of 10,000 Euro + VAT comprising six nights’ accommodation, exclusive drivers’ kit, pre check-in at the hotels along the route) and PLATINUM fee (registration fee of 50,000 Euro + VAT with the Guest Car formula comprising hospitality for up to six drivers, exclusive kits, pre check-in at the hotels along the route and automatic acceptance of the vehicle subject to its being listed in the 1000 Miglia Register).”

Now , where’s  that entry form...

Iain