Best source of a car for restoration; what would you advise

Hi all

First post as you might guess after a of period lurking.

I've had a life time ambition to own a TR6 after seeing one everyday while walking to school. I'm not the kind of person who wants one finished straight out of the box to just polish. Rather I like a long term project and suspect the car will be a keeper. The only thing I'm not good at is welding but willing to lean and invest in decent kit, mechanical bits no real fear and I have a good tool kit and a dbl garage to play in. My previous toy was a 1990 Mk1 MX5 which I developed into a 330bhp toy which in the end bit me and was written off so I'm under orders "no mods other than safety ones". Fair enough I'm too old now anyway for these things. So the car will be kept completly standard as much as possible except for upgrades which improve reliability and I'm in no rush to get it on the road either.

Bodywork seems to be key as body parts although available there not cheap. So with the experience of others what would you suggest buying; dry state import, UK part restorted abandonded project, older restoration in need of TLC and from who?

Any traders to go to or avoid?

Based in Wakefield if anyone would mind meeting me having a chat with regard to their experience with these great cars.

Thanks in advance.

Hi podone (?)

Have a look at the website for your local group.

Possibly this one :- using the search facility.

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/group/wharfedale

Local groups are Always a good starting point for cars a chat and advice.

Best of luck in finding a suitable car.

H

Edited by Hamish

Good advice from Hamish, if you can buy from the TR Register members you stand a chance it will be described fairly and won't be a blow over leg lifter, we chat too much to one another.

Failing that you'll normally find an experienced owner at the local group who will befriend you and oversee some of your viewings to get you in the groove of what to walk away from and calm you down when you get the "urge to splurge ".

Mick Richards

Edited by Motorsport Mickey

sound advise from hamish and Mickey,

however, I feel the way you have written the thread, you have done your homework and already no what your talking about,

buy an early 6 there better

welding isn't that bad, I went to a welder and asked if he would teach me, give him a good drink,

within a couple of hours, I was welding, not pretty, but it was welding,

I did the same with painting, spent a week in a paint shop,

hope this helps

pink

Hi PodOne,

Welcome to the forum.

Have you got a name?

Dry state imports can be had and are generally very good - have a look through the search facility as this has been mentioned several times. Importers etc.

TRGB always appear to have a stack of cars in various states of disassembly

Rebuilding a reasonably complete car may well be cheaper but better still give you better quality parts to renovate. Repro items are not always the best.

Welding and painting rely on quality equipment and skill - don;t buy cheap. If you want a cheap MIG welder then I have just the job for you. :P

Post all your problems here (mainly car related usually) for a speedy answer.

Roger

Hi you won't go far wrong for a natter and some info at a White rose meeting about 20-30 mins down M1 for you, Chris (group leader) and his brother Paul are serial Tr home restorers and both have 6s and 2s and have done most models between them, recently a few group members got together, gave lots of time and effort to do a complete body swap on a tr6 for a fellow member in need (Yorkshireman fo yer) so a lot of knowledge for you to draw upon. Ps a company over in Ashbourne called California connection did have loads of import stuff and are worth a call. Martin

Thanks Guys

Your correct I've done some research but theres no buying experience. I'll make a point of turning up at the local meet any help apprecitted before I spend any cash.

Sounds like OEM body parts are best repaired where ever possible which appeals on lots of levels.

I always try and buy good kit can't do with cheapo tools just frustrates the hell out of me. Paint prep I actually enjoy and have done a good bit over the years but would most likley farm out the final finish which I'm already seeing as red.

No doubt I'll be on here lots when I eventually track one down.

Name; Andy and thanks for the welcome.

Best of luck with the search Andy!

I would recommend coming along to the Wharfedale group meeting, the next one isn't far from Leeds Bradford Airport, by all means drop Mike (group leader) a message, It may give you a lot more useful information on where to source car/parts in addition to ownership experience etc.

Always helpful to speak with local enthusiasts who can point you in the right direction. Really nice group of people for a general chat too.

Best of luck with the search Andy!

I would recommend coming along to the Wharfedale group meeting, the next one isn't far from Leeds Bradford Airport, by all means drop Mike (group leader) a message, It may give you a lot more useful information on where to source car/parts in addition to ownership experience etc.

Always helpful to speak with local enthusiasts who can point you in the right direction. Really nice group of people for a general chat too.

Murgies now your talking! Billy Murge's Two Course Special sounds just the ticket.

I work in Sheffied so I'll have to check next week what's on at work first to get there for 7.30.but I will do my best and then let Mike know.