PI and Brake servo tapping

As we all know the PI system requires manifold depression to operate correctly, and the manifold also has the brake servo claiming vacuum from it to boost the brakes.

Has any one tried one of these electrically operated vacuum pumps instead of tapping from the manifold? Could kill two birds in one bush - boost brakes and not affect the manifold depression.

https://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/electric-vacuum-pump

It says they are noisey in operation, so I would suggest mounting it in the boot with the Lucas fuel pump.....perhaps they would noise cancel (like my hearing aids) and there would be silence when driving.

Cheers

Peter W

I had the mechanical vacuum pump behind the Opel Corsa Diesel alternator in use.

Its a good alternator and has the pump for 70 Euros.

Some work to connect all the piping for oil but worth the effort.

Especially with my 290 degree cam what has less vaccuum its a good idea.

Right now I have the twin membrane booster from Volvo in use and

stepped back to manifold because boost is much more than required.

I fitted a small diaphragm vacuum pump to my TR6 to boost the low manifold vac (hot cam).

Even with the engine not running, the servo replenished in a few seconds.

With 2.5 litres of pump, I think it must replenish in a gnat's crotchet, and until the brakes are applied the servo draws no more vac

So as far as the PI system is concerned, not worth bothering about.

For the record, the pump was a Charles Austen V2. Yes, it made a bit of noise but only for a few seconds. It upped the vac at the servo from 7"Hg to 19"Hg. Anyone who wants to try this, put a non-return valve between the pump and the manifold, otherwise the pump will suck the fuel out of the manifold.

Ivor

In Holland someone offers new double servo's for TR5/6 for approx. 280 euro, this includes 2 new brake lines because the originals won't fit.

Supposed to be a straight swap.

I have decided to first try my original setup, which is ready to install.

Regards,

Waldi