Currently have dash and under dash stripped out on my 73 tr6 to get at the dreaded rot around the drains on the heater plenum. So it would be a good time to sort out my heater !! The heater motor sounds a bit weary and I will be checking the matrix. Has anyone sourced a better motor ( 2 speed) or had experience of uprated motor from the usual suspects - Ross and Mimmers ? The same for the matrix !

I would like to get heater sorted for once and for all as I don't want to go through this excavation again !

There is also a motor that you can use that comes from and American school bus. You can find it if you search on Google.

Cheers

Tim

I am told......Ashley Hinton is the man with a hand on the old Smiths heater tools for the MG range.

He may well be trade supply only though -

http://www.mg-cars.org.uk/ah/heater.htm

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

The Clayton heater (sold by some of the TR suppliers too) often proves a disappointment in 6s.

Unlike the current conversions for the early cars, the tech used for the 6s is not significantly better than the original in good condition.

Fettle yours and use the winter thermostat for much of the year. The winter stat makes more difference than the Clayton motor.

Another idea to consider

Refurb you current heater, re-paint, then re-fit with new seals and a new matrix (approx £80?) then fit an MG (approx £9) spiral fan. I've done that on a recent TR5 re-build and it's wonderful. I'm going to do the same thing to my 6 asap.

best Bill

Thanks very much for all the replies. A lot of good ideas ! Seems like the original set up is not too bad. The spiral M.G. fan fitted to original sound good. Anyone know the MG part number or which MG it comes from ? A strange question - will the spiral fan (centrifugal??) work in reverse ?(I fitted a reversable polarity switch to to heater fan as an emergency extra cooling system when stationary in traffic with the idea that with the fan going in reverse and heater on, air from cabin gets drawn through the matrix and out the grill in front of the windscreen.)

Thanks very much for all the replies. A lot of good ideas ! Seems like the original set up is not too bad. The spiral M.G. fan fitted to original sound good. Anyone know the MG part number or which MG it comes from ? A strange question - will the spiral fan (centrifugal??) work in reverse ?(I fitted a reversable polarity switch to to heater fan as an emergency extra cooling system when stationary in traffic with the idea that with the fan going in reverse and heater on, air from cabin gets drawn through the matrix and out the grill in front of the windscreen.)

Hi Mark

I'm not sure of the part No., but I'll look it up and let you know as i have a spare one in the garage somewhere. In the meantime, have look on ebay. Just type in MG heater fan. I paid £9.50 for mine and it fits the TR heater spindle a treat and the inner casing.

best Bill

Thanks very much to all for the information. I have gone for the Clayton uprated matrix and their 3 speed fan motor. Thanks to John Morrison (Cumbria Group Leader) and his bartering skills at the C.C.S. at The NE.C., I got a good deal from Clayton. They seem good to deal with and the units that arrived this morning seem to be good quality.

However having got my heater out now, there does not seem to be much wrong with it ! Motor ok and matrix sound ! The heater plenum had a load of crap in it and the holes at either end and missing grommets in the bulkhead would be letting in cold air all the time into the cockpit! So maybe the the heater was not bad after all. But Hey Ho I dont like the cold ! The uprated heater control valve that allows a better flow apparently, sold by usual suspects, I have found comes from a London taxi ! Available on tinternet for a much more reasonable price. Would need a bracket made to support it! Anyone fitted one?