Having just had an engine upgrade to grade 2 on my 3a, I am wanting to convert from steel and fit some 60 spoke wire wheels. I wondered if it might be worth considering a wheel/tyre that increases the road holding. any ideas out there. What about some Stag wheels, would they fit?

I am not intending to race/rally but it would be nice to balance the power with road holding.

Chalky :mellow:

Chalky,

There are a number of off the shelf wire wheel upgrades available for triumphs that have a wider rim than standard. One of the largest uk manufacturers has a really good website with fitment information on it

http://www.mws.co.uk/

Cheers

Alan

Chalky,

I fitted 72 spoke wires to my 3a. It is fantastic. If I were you I would do this, rather than using 60 spoke wires.

Only problem for you would be the fact that you would need a smaller spare wheel. I got around the problem by removing the boot floor to accomodate a bigger spare wheel.

Regards

David

I'm toying with the idea of a set of knock off minilite look alike alloys.

She has fitted at the moment a set of Dunlop 48 spoke wires with Barum 165 x 15 tyres.

Not the best combination in the wet. (lets face it they handle like poo on a summers day)

What are your views on tyre sizes/makes and what size can I go up to without problems?

I have seen the classic look radials advertised in some of the vintage tyre websites but they can cost £150 to £200 a tyre!!!!

I want good all round, all weather safe/good handling and want to retain knock offs?

Unc

Hi Unc,

I am running 165/80 x 15 on my TR3A. This is the most common size (easily availible).

155/80 x 15 is closer to the original size but not longer a common size.

If you want to go for wider tyres, 185/70 x 15 (or 175/70 x 15) gives the same circ. as a.m.

For good prices, have a look on www.mytyres.co.uk

Regards, Rudi

I just bought Vredestein 165x15 for my car. And yes: 'modern classics' (E.g. Michelin) are very expensive!

I choose 165x15 tires on original rims because I'm considering the same upgrade as Unc: lock off minilite look alike. These are 5.0 or 5.5J, so 155x15 would be a problem.

Anyway, all tyres sizes end with something like "... 86T" That stands for "86 threads". Every type of tire has his own number of threads. A low number stands for supple, a high number is less supple. Around 100T the tires are to be used for light vans! I think that these heavy tires will affect the handling of TR. Sometimes these 'van-tires' are cheaper than the ones we need. So, don't be tempted. There's also the speed rating to consider.

BTW: 165x15 is used for Volkswagen Beetles, Saab 96s and 99s, Volvo Amazons, 142s, 144s and some Peugeot 404s. Sometimes you're better off when you buy tires from a Volkswagen parts supplier.

Menno

And... here's a pic of my TR after the 25 miles shake down test! No major problems! Brakes are fine, clutch fine, g'box works properly. All's well. One sticking piston in the housing of the carb. Lots of black stuff prevend the piston to fall down properly. I'm going to clean it all up tonight.

I think I would go for the Vredestein Sprint Classic, 185/70 they are very close to the 165/80 and they look good on a TR. I now have Goodyear's 195/65 on my 3 fitted on 5.5 KN's, it's a little bit an overkill, but they drive very fine. They disadvantage is that I need big spacers, more than 1/2 inch and extra long wheel nuts. Occasionally at full lock the tyres still touch the chassis and this does'nt please me. Wonder if the same goes for the knock-off KN's

I'm in fact looking out to buy the Vredestein's for my set of w/w.

Jean

Jean,

I agree that 185/70 is the best option if you want to go for wider tyres and that is what most of us are using (or 165/80 which is the same outer diam.) However as 155/80 is more close to the original size of the diagonal tyres, 175/70 would be an option as well. But these are very hard to find nowadays.

I use 165/80 on 5,5 wires x 72 spoke wires (and a 4.5/60 spoke as a spare). These are on splined adaptors. I have not shortened the wheelstuds, my car was originally on steel rims, but use Revington's machined spacers. Perfect fit and the correct "thickness".

However at the back I notice that under heavy load in corners the rear tyre touches the upper inside of the wheel arch, leaving a slight signal red mark of the paint on the tyre now and then. Therefore I am reluctant to go for 185/70 on the wires. Using Aluminium KN rims this should be less of a problem as you do not need the spacers am I correct? Using PU or nylatron bushes, a location kit for the rear springs together with uprated lever arm shocks maybe can bring a solution. Any advise here?

Vredesteins might be a good choice and they look somewhat vintage. Nevertheless I have neg. feed back from a couple of people conc. these in wet conditions. But most of all they seem too expensive to me for what you get. (probably because of the low qty produced, but that should not be our concern, unless you are Dutch and want to buy them for patriotic reasons. Do they come in orange :) too?)Good prices for all kind of quality tyres you can find on www.pneusonline.be

PS.Would you consider to sell your KN's?

Cheers, Rudi

In addition to my former reply 185/65 x 15 would be good option as well. Thanks to the more "modern" size prices are a fraction of 185/70. If you take part in FIVA rally's in Belgium (BFOV) "65" tyres are, if >= to 185 wide and 15 inch, allowed. Road holding will be even a fraction better with /65 than with /70.

Regards, Rudi

They disadvantage is that I need big spacers, more than 1/2 inch and extra long wheel nuts. Occasionally at full lock the tyres still touch the chassis and this does'nt please me.

Hi Jean, personally I don't like spacers behind wheels, as the forces applied to stub axles, bearings and other parts etc. can be re-located and over-stress bits.

In the UK, if tyre fouls any part of the car, it will be an MoT test fail - two sets of wheels and tyres required - one set for MoT test and the other for use in the real world!

Jonlar, the tyres slightly touch the chassis when full lock in reverse. But you are right about the extra load on the stub axles. I bought the wheels second hand, coming from an early TR4, they had only done about 1k miles. The wheels, spacers and nuts have German TUV ( MOT) certification. But I intend to sell them anyhow.

Must say that my 5.5 interlaced wire wheels have more or less the same track, but the tyres are only 165, what's a little more within TR3 requirements.

Jean

Careful Jon - the Ministry have spies everywhere. In case they are monitoring the forum, you'd better take your commission number off your signature quickly!

Brian, I was just talking hypothetically - I wouldn't dream of breaking the rules! Bend them close to breaking point - ah, now that's another thing altogether.

'THERE HERE!!!'

Just arrived, KN minilite knock offs and they do look the part.

Ordered and waiting for a set of Vredenstein 185/70/15s sprint classic's to slip on!

I'm hoping they will fit without clashing with any metalwork - most advice seems to point to 185/70/15's being about the biggest you can get on a 3a without heartache or modification?

Well fingers crossed!

Unc :D

Hi Unc, I see they're 60.30 each from mytyres - that's incl. VAT and delivered, how much are you paying? I bought 4 tyres from them recently for my 'work' car and found mytyres excellent and almost half the price of our local tyre dealer whi is very competitive - had to fit them myself (I've got a good supply of new valves) and just get them balanced, but I wouldn't want to be fitting them to new minilites and risk grazing the finish!

Hi Jonlar

Yes I got mine from MYTYRES although they have tried to charge me VAT on top of what was supposed to be an all in price.

I am in negotiation with them now, even so they are still cheap.

Unc

Yes I got mine from MYTYRES although they have tried to charge me VAT on top of what was supposed to be an all in price.

I am in negotiation with them now, even so they are still cheap.

Hi Peter, didn't you get an automoted email reply confirming the order and price, straight off their site - I did with mine. Although this was for my 'work' hack - a pair of Vredestein Snowtrac, and a pair of Michelin Alpin 2s, (42.50 and 46.00 each incl. del and VAT respectively), the local dealer wanted in the region of 100 each.

Hi Peter, didn't you get an automoted email reply confirming the order and price, straight off their site - I did with mine.

The email reply came from their office and thats where the VAT was added!

Unc :angry:

The email reply came from their office and thats where the VAT was added!

Unc :angry:

Hi Peter, Have just checked my emails and found their message, price on the screen included VAT - but the way their nvoice reads looks as though it's been added, but it hasn't. Drop me your home email and I'll forward it to you for comparison, or forward their's to me at <jonlar@lineone.net> . They definitely only charged me the on screen price which included delivery and VAT.

Edited by jonlar
Having just had an engine upgrade to grade 2 on my 3a, I am wanting to convert from steel and fit some 60 spoke wire wheels. I wondered if it might be worth considering a wheel/tyre that increases the road holding. any ideas out there. What about some Stag wheels, would they fit?

I am not intending to race/rally but it would be nice to balance the power with road holding.

Chalky :mellow:

Hi Chalky

I have four new grey 60 spoke wheels with 165 tyres on them . The tyres are also new , having only covered a 1000 miles or less.

Give me a call if interested 01689.852161 ( orpington kent)

Trevor,

Thanks for the offer but I am not quite ready to make my decision yet. If I do change then I will probably buy Chromed wires. I will call you if interested.

This topic is proving very interesting and throwing up all sorts of alternatives.

Chalky :huh:

Have just checked my emails and found their message, price on the screen included VAT - but the way their nvoice reads looks as though it's been added, but it hasn't. They definitely only charged me the on screen price which included delivery and VAT.

Jonlar

The on screen price is £60.30 inclusive of VAT and delivery.

I was charged £70.50!

Work that one out!

They keep talking about something called 'brutto' I don't know what that's all about?

Anyhow they seem to disagree with me even when I'm staring at the advert!

I'm sure it will run and run.

I've got the tyres now so the next step is to contact the card company and report an unauthorised withdrawal, that should stir things up!

Unc B)