Remove & Replace the MU

Greetings Gentlemen,

Im planning to remove my MU and send it to Mr. Jones to be refurbished; this is the easy part. Is there, or, are there a set of steps that I must follow when removing the MU? My intuition tells me that there must be particular steps that I must follow when reinstalling the MU back on to the engine? Im sure there are some of you whove done this.

I appreciate your help and guidance.

Thanks a lot,

Cheers,

Sam

Sam,

Neil (NTC) is right.

The thick brown workshop manual (sometimes referred to as the Brown Bible) is your guide for many jobs, this is one of them.

Neil Ferguson did my MU, injectors, injector lines and PRV, I was really surprised by his craftsmanship and helpfulness.

Waldi.

Hi Sam

Removing and replacing the MU isnt difficult its just a little fiddly.

I removed mine on my first tr6 and had it refurbed by Neil as recommended above, he offers excellent servive and value for money.

You might consider having your injectors refurbished at the same time, his proces are very reasonable.

When i bought my current car in 2012 one of the injectors was not workoing reliably, neil refurbed them and they have worked flawlessly ever since

Steve

I live in USA, the previous owner had dealt with Mr. Jones. What is the name of this brown book (see photo please)? I have also spoken with Mr. jones a couple of times and he seems like a very nice person. Other than that, thats all experience I have with Mr. Jones. I dont want to experience what the gentleman from (see below) Australia has.

I found this post on Sideway-Technologies dated March of 2016.

Two years ago I placed an order for a change over metering unit and injectors. These`were dispatched to Neil Ferguson and moneys paid upfront also freight costs paid. This has been acknowledged by Neil Ferguson and despite many attempts to contact Neil by email and telephone I have had no satisfaction. On the rare occasion I have been able to contact him he has said that the unit would be dispatched (last November). Since then I have had no contact despite many attempts to connect with him. This is leaving me very frustrated and without my metering unit. I live in Australia and have no ability to physically call on Neil. I noticed a prior comment re Neil on this site which prompted me to also comment.

Thanks,

Cheers

I live in USA, the previous owner had dealt with Mr. Jones. What is the name of this brown book (see photo please)? I have also spoken with Mr. jones a couple of times and he seems like a very nice person. Other than that, thats all experience I have with Mr. Jones. I dont want to experience what the gentleman from (see below) Australia has.

I found this post on Sideway-Technologies dated March of 2016.

Two years ago I placed an order for a change over metering unit and injectors. These`were dispatched to Neil Ferguson and moneys paid upfront also freight costs paid. This has been acknowledged by Neil Ferguson and despite many attempts to contact Neil by email and telephone I have had no satisfaction. On the rare occasion I have been able to contact him he has said that the unit would be dispatched (last November). Since then I have had no contact despite many attempts to connect with him. This is leaving me very frustrated and without my metering unit. I live in Australia and have no ability to physically call on Neil. I noticed a prior comment re Neil on this site which prompted me to also comment.

Thanks,

Cheers

I am sorry to hear this story as most people say he is top dollar but is he also a bandit especially when you have paid upfront? I think he should state his response here on the forum. Come on Neil what have you to say about this matter?

Bruce.

Sam

Whichever route you take (+1 for Neil Ferguson BTW), once the MU is off the engine, keep your hands off (the engine)!

DO NOT turn the engine until you are refitting the refurbished MU, makes refitting a lot simpler! :) :) :)

Assuming it was fitted correctly beforehand, obviously...... ;)

Vitesse Steve has posted a link to a PDF copy of the oft referred Brown Bible here:

https://www.box.com/s/3458383708b0fb05d75f

Follow the procedure in this, particularly setting No. cylinder to TDC before removal and the tricks like using thick grease to hold the driving dog coupling in place during replacement.

Edited by Mike C

+1 for Neil Ferguson - no connection other than a satisfied customer...

I had trepidation on changing the MU, but found it a lot easier than expected. Only issue was bleeding the injectors 9nce all back together took a good while longer than I had expected.

Cheers

Ian

Engine capacity (i.e. mine is bored to 2.7 litres), cam details , vacuum at idle- you can measure this easily by disconnecting the brake booster hose and note mine had to have the vacuum gauge hose partially clamped to get a stable reading. I use

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwi-4Maj76rXAhVEkZQKHYBJDJEQFggpMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fbowerpower.com.au%2F&usg=AOvVaw15zILeI9eP_j7LFZ6QF1VT,

who did a thorough job including providing calibration charts of my old fuelling curve/ the standard TR6 fuelling curve/ their BPAT 2.7 litre fuelling curve.

When I fitted the rebuilt and recalibrated MU and injectors the car was a joy to drive, easy to start, heaps of torque and power, better fuel economy , even the smell of petrol emanating from the boot area has disappeared.

+1 for Neil Ferguson - no connection other than a satisfied customer

Give him a call or email him.

I'm sure you will receive plenty of help from this forum to get your PI over there right!

Atb

Neil doesn’t have a website. Just email or phone him.

BTW I too found him very helpful and accommodating with a quick turnaround. I’ve had a couple of MU’s refurbished and a box full of injectors done too.

Send the MU with the adaptors and they will get refurbished as well.

No idea what went wrong with the person in the previous post. There’s usually two sides to a dispute.

No connection just a satisfied customer

Will someone provide Mr. Neil Fergusons web site please. I dont seem to be able to find it.

Thanks.

Sam

When you send your MU to the UK + the banjo non return valves only use DHL or UPS so that you can trace where they are and same for the return. Good luck. Lastly check the condition of the black injector fuel lines as these can split, these can be refurbed as well. I use a company called KMI yes they do have a web page.

Bruce.

Bruce