7 hours ago, woodward said:

Hi All, The passenger side of my TR4 (ex US car so this was the driver's door for most of the car's life) does not shut well.  It needs s good slam and even then does not close well.  There is some play in the hinges but I was wondering how much is normal?  Should there be no play at all or is some acceptable?  I'm thinking to replace the hinges anyway (or refurbish the old ones but this seems tricky) but want to get quality replacements - does anyone know who stocks the bastuck ones?

Thanks

Myles

Hi Myles,

the hinges if done properly have no or extremely small play.

If you want to do your own then it may be possible to punch out but very problematic. It is easier to drill them . Surprisingly they are quite soft.

The new pins are 0.004" (0.1mm) oversize  so it is possible to drill the holes for a very good fit.

I drilled a hole in the hinge plate receptacle to allow a grease nipple to be fitted to allow lubrication once a year.

I haven't found a decent new hinge.

Roger