Should I seam seal inside wing joints?

Hello all.

The front wings have a spot welded joint at the top where the main body of the wing is attached to the flange for the bolt holes. Should this joint be seam sealed on the inside of the wing or left open to drain naturally? Same question regarding the rear wings although the joint is in a slightly different place.

Many thanks foe your help,

Sean

SSSSTTTTTUUUUAAAARRRRRTTTTTT. ????

Mick Richards

It wont hurt but if you stonechip/prime/paint inside the wings then it would get well sealed over anyway.

Stuart

For me no,it would not look right.

If your talking about visible seams then brush on sealer that is smoothed off and then 2 pack primed which is then flatted off and painted I can assure you you wont even know its there.

In my above reply I was referring to the seam behind i.e. inside the wings.

Stuart.

post-3753-0-30619900-1509191632_thumb.jpg

post-3753-0-21573400-1509191638_thumb.jpg

Thanks Stuart. I was actually asking about the seam inside the wings at the top. I have left it un-seam sealed. Today I painted three coats of top coat on the insides of all 4 wings and boot lit. Hopefully will get the outsides done tomorrow.

post-12473-0-12742000-1509214517_thumb.jpg

Just finished putting gravitex on the underneath of the tub, seam sealer was a pig of a job and not very pretty but covered well with gravitex.

How do you get it to look so neat Stuart hoping insides much better.

Mark

Edited by Mark69

With the seam sealer I use a brushable one with a 1" wide brush with the bristles cut to half their length and as you go round smooth it out with your finger so it presses it into all the seams well then leave 24 hrs and then go round again to see if there is any shrinkage if so re-apply the same way. Then when doing the underneath and going over with stone chip I keep pressure up to 80psi and apply from about 18"/2ft away moving round pretty quickly so you dont get too much build up and check each area as you go to make sure its just covered as re-applying at a later time will cause shrinkage.

Stuart.

post-3753-0-76192200-1509290565_thumb.jpg

post-3753-0-70531500-1509290570_thumb.jpg

post-3753-0-75645400-1509290575_thumb.jpg

post-3753-0-60262500-1509290690_thumb.jpg

post-3753-0-21965500-1509290710_thumb.jpg

Edited by stuart

Best tell Andrew for Saffy :P still say don't look right imho,under the car good idea .But then water trap?

I’m not using stone chip inside Neil I was referring to seam sealer, my attempt underneath was successful but ugly. Stuart’s pic of the 4/5 looks really smooth.

Best tell Andrew for Saffy :P still say don't look right imho,under the car good idea .But then water trap?

If you do like I do which is seam seal the whole shell inside and out then water wont get into the seams anyway.

When we stripped mine to repair the accident damage there was no sign of any moisture anywhere after nearly 25yrs.

Stuart.

A New material made by UPOL called RAPTOR its a two pack black white or a clear that's tintable with 10% of colour it was designed for truck beds Len

I have seen that, it is expensive though if it does what they reckon then it maybe a good alternative but it does need a different gun to apply and it does go on thick!

Stuart.

If you do like I do which is seam seal the whole shell inside and out then water wont get into the seams anyway.

When we stripped mine to repair the accident damage there was no sign of any moisture anywhere after nearly 25yrs.

Stuart.

No such thing as a watertight TR so puddles inside.

It goes on with normal stonechip gun can be what ever thickness you want , Gravitex tends to be like plaster it can crack Len

It shouldnt if applied correctly as its flexible. See my above comment about application.

Stuart.

No such thing as a watertight TR so puddles inside.

But they can be mopped up, better that than it seeping into the seams and sitting there going rusty ;)

Stuart.