Oil's Good old Penrite v Dynolite

That would be equivalent to furlongs /fortnight.

Roger

That's slow, granted, but still a meaningful unit.

ppm is a unit of concentration without the /litre added on.

ppm/litre is not a meaningful unit.

Have Millers printed that on the tin ?

Peter

Perhaps it was PPM but on a litre bottle ????

Gee whizz with that much in a litre imagine how much would be in a 25ltr barrel.

Youd never lift it ?!,!?!?

Perhaps it was PPM but on a litre bottle

Gee whizz with that much in a litre imagine how much would be in a 25ltr barrel.

Youd never lift it ?!,!?!?

The ppm value stays the same whether its 1ml or 1000litres.

ppm is the concentration not a quantity.

parts per million

Peter

There was a time when one of the virtues of a TR was that it would keep running on damn near anything you threw at it . . . . .

Two star fuel, paraffin, if all else failed TVO to dilute the remaining petrol, Polish rectified spirit on one occasion, etc etc . . . . . and as for lubricant, anything from waste chip shop oil, depending on the oil consumption of the week and the state of the wallet. There isn't much I didn't try in engine box or diff as an impecunious enthusiast. Sawdust, chip fat and molybdenum grease was particularly effective for noisy diffs . . . . . heavyweight steam engine oil kept slack alice gearboxes going, albeit the change was slow and the o/d non functional until the stuff warmed up.

We could simply pour any old 20W/50 in our engines, and forget all about this wretched ZDDP blather . . . . . how many TRs are even going to cover a mileage large enough for it to matter in the course of our lifetimes ? In any case £30 or £40 for a gallon of oil ? P*ss off, sweetie.

Too much word w*nk*ng when it comes to stuff like this, get out and get a life.

Cheers

Alec

There was a time when one of the virtues of a TR was that it would keep running on damn near anything you threw at it . . . . .

Two star fuel, paraffin, if all else failed TVO to dilute the remaining petrol,

Cheers

Alec

Last Sunday, at the Thames Valley Meet, I arrived a little early and found the car park full of tractors.

All working tractors in different states of repair and cleanliness.

One tractor that was out along side the road was ticking over constantly and chucking out a fair bit of smoke.

During an overheard conversation from the driver he was quite proud that it ran on TVO.

Indeed they can but I don;t think this particular engine was designed to do so.

When it took off from the pub the smoke screen would have cloaked the Bismark.

Roger

Haha your right Peter...that was my mistake. It was a litre can with the ZDDP content at 5836.

And Alec your correct I remember banger racing cars and putting Derv in the sump after all it was for cooling as much as lubrication. Sawdust in the diff done that too on our Austin Princess 4 litre tow car. That lasted at least three years with hooky MOT’s. Finally having the diff welded up by the welders at work and banger racing that too.

As for me I’m moving over to Mobil Jet 2.......Roger will know that one!

with the ZDDP content at 5836.

Dave, That's very high. Maybe Millers have given the ppm based upon the entire ZDDP molecule. Most oils use the Zn or P content only, and ignore the contribution of the 'DD' to the ppm. Peter