Oil's Good old Penrite v Dynolite

Hi all was looking for a bit of advice about oil, so for many years I’ve been using Penrite oil 20w50, one point I tried 20w60 seem to me that at hotter running temperatures the oil gauge seem to go lower so swap back to 20w50..

Anyway so here’s the question, My oil supplier has stopped supplying Penrite oil he said that it just became too expensive, so he is now supplying Dynolite which I know nothing about. Is anyone using this oil and what grade, website and leaflets talk about 20w50,20w60 and 40w70,,relatively comfortable with the first two however 40w70 not quite with you on this ,

Any help would be much appreciated

thanks in advance James………………………………..

TR4A&TR5

Hi James,

Why try and reinvent the wheel ? There must be over a dozen different threads with maybe 70 or 80 posts on many posing the differences between Penrite, Silkolene and a dozen other oils, just try using the search box.

As for 40w-70 why diverge from good ol 20-50, ? relatively cheap and carries the required ZDDP levels (if you buy the oil with it in).

As for what 40W-70 is try this review (quoting blurb from the oil companies publicity department) from a "cutting edge" thrusting dynamic company ?...no it's from Moss. They quote it as being pre war developed oil for engines which don't have oil filters, they rely upon natural separation of particles etc and it being trapped in the sump which is quite enough to ban it from my engine in the first place.

jhttp://www.moss-europe.co.uk/dynolite-prewar-40w-70-5-litre-ggl811350.html

Mick Richards

Edited by Motorsport Mickey

As Mick says this topic has been done to death :D

Search ZDDP and read the massive number of threads and see for yourself what has been discussed........if you have the time ;)

My conclusion

ZDDP is important to our 4 pot motors

Quite a few Oil companies don't or wont quote ZDDP

Penrite do and it works fine.

Iain

Edited by iain

Hi Mick & Lain Thanks very much for coming back to me, As they say every day is a school day. So the one thing I have definitely learnt from this post is clearly use the search feature before you post….

As an old radio engineer I should have realised that you should RX before TX’sing

once again thanks and I’m off to read the abundance of advice previously sought

James --- ..- -

Use a mineral 20-50. Rumour has it that Halfords classic 20-50 ( buy it when on offer around 15 quid/5 litre) is just the old Duckhams with a slightly different colorant. It certainly smells the same and has not messed my engine for 40 years

Hi Mick & Lain Thanks very much for coming back to me, As they say every day is a school day. So the one thing I have definitely learnt from this post is clearly use the search feature before you post….

As an old radio engineer I should have realised that you should RX before TX’sing

once again thanks and I’m off to read the abundance of advice previously sought

James --- ..- -

James,

Its actually impossible to search for 'oil' on here, or any other words up to three letters. Use 'ZDDP' instead and you'll find all the oil threads.

Peter

"James,

Its actually impossible to search for 'oil' on here, or any other words up to three letters. Use 'ZDDP' instead and you'll find all the oil threads.

Peter"

Correct Peter, however with many 3 letter words you can change it into a plural ie add an s making it "Oils" which you search for, and if you select Forums it does a dredge of all the forums not just the one you are accessing - which gives you this

hhttp://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=search&fromMainBar=1

A little light reading on all threads which mention oil, although your recommendation about ZDDP is what I would use with it being more selective.

Mick Richards

That will be interesting?

I wonder if they will know the ZDDP content of their (rebranded?) :ph34r: oil?

Those purveyors of all good oils last year didn't have a clue as to the ZDDP content when asked.

Moss ( Dynolite) didn't even have a data sheet for the product :o

Hi Mike,

just out of interest what tyres do you use?. Can I borrow one. :P:P

Roger

Black ones with tread & not that old & are as near round as possible :ph34r:

Cheers

Mike B)

Black ones with tread & not that old & are as near round as possible :ph34r:

Cheers

Mike B)

See that's what I mean...the man is pernickety ! Lol

Mick Richards

Edited by Motorsport Mickey

There were peristent rumours that Duckhams was re-cycled sump oil......

But the 6 ran on it for 180k before it needed a rebore, and the crank has never been reground after 250K.

So welcome back to the green stuff.

Peter

Edited by Peter Cobbold

I have a wonderful memory of a truck shedding its load of quart cans of Duckhams best green on the South Circular somewhere around Barnes, I think, in the early seventies. Wonderful skating rink with vehicules everywhere. Didn:t stop to ask the ZDDP content though. Just picked up enough for the next oil change

James

Before Duckhams disappeared it lost it's green colour.

I remember being told by someone from Castrol that the green dye was particularly nasty stuff and they weren't allowed to include it anymore for elf and safety reasons.

Never mind the ZDDP, will it be green!!

Hi Iain The ZDDP content is on the can and it is not rebranded! Regards Terry

Hi Terry, I don't suppose you could share with us the great unwashed what this ZDDP content amount is then ...could you ?

Mick Richards