Timing Chain

Hi David,

I've not dealt with The Chain man before. Others have and recommend him.

When fitting the chain did you fit it around the crank sprocket then lace the cam sprocket into the chain and then try and fit the cam sprocket tot he cam.

You can't loop the chain over the cam sprocket insitu. - sorry if that is obvious but must ask.

It could be that they have sent the wrong chain. Have words to resolve.

At £23 that is a very good price.

Roger

The chain should have 58 links if the link pitch measurement is correct it should fit. I fitted mine from the chain man all went well it was a very neat fit and felt a good tension without the tensioner though I did fit it.

Count the links and measure the pitch of the link.

Paul

Thanks

Yes I fitted the chain around the crank sprocket and laced the cam sprocket into the chain and then offered the cam sprocket to the cam.

The German chain has 56 links (eg 2x 28) whilst the original and the Indian have 58 links.

All links appear to have the same dimensions and when laid side by side the 14 pairs match on all three with the original and the Indian have one extra.

David

Thanks

Yes I fitted the chain around the crank sprocket and laced the cam sprocket into the chain and then offered the cam sprocket to the cam.

The German chain has 56 links (eg 2x 28) whilst the original and the Indian have 58 links.

All links appear to have the same dimensions and when laid side by side the 14 pairs match on all three with the original and the Indian have one extra.

David

Hi David

Seems you need to contact the chain man as you are two links short of a timing chain. I'm surprised he's made that mistake, you will be better off fitting the German chain as they are far better quality than the others.

Paul

I have to ask my usual question, what do our rally/race friends @ TR Enterprises/Racetorations/Revington recommend & fit? No junk Or inferior stuff I would suggest?

Regards.

Revington supplied the Indian chain.

I have contacted The Chain Man (Andy) who has agreed to sort a replacement.

David

Well that surprises me a little that Revington use Indian chains (in their competition cars also?).

• 3 weeks later...

Yesterday I checked my 3 years / 8.100 miles "old" IWIS chain and black chain tensior, very interesting!

OK but not that tight any more, only the chain tensior makes that working. Tensior with slightly grooves.

1 photo deleted because of not enough database

Ciao Marco

Edited by Z320
photo deleted because of not enough database

After a project for the grand children I have eventually got back to installing the new chain and tensioner.

Luckily the original marks were on both the crankshaft and camshaft sprockets and therefore by lining up the marks the timing should be unaffected.

However whilst there is a small amount of slack in the chain on both sides between the sprockets, there is slightly more slack on one side than the other.

Is this a problem requiring rotation of the camshaft sprocket so the slack is precisely equal before I fit the cover ?

David

Hi David,

there will always be a small amount of slack. As for dividing it equally - I think not.

It may be possible to get the slack bias towards the unwanted side by re-positioning the cam wheel on the combination of its two attachment holes.

But you may already have it as good as it gets.

Roger