Solid axle tr4a and triumph dolomite sprint diff

Nearing completion of putting my tr4a back together from a respray earlier this year..and had the pleasure of talking to a very knowledgeable man on the train the other day about triumphs who told me to put a dolomite sprint lsd diff into it as i have a solid back axle model (not irs) can any members give me some advice.? I do drive it pretty hard and have enjoyed it for many years...is there any advantage? Does it fit straight in...are all sprints lsd? Any thoughts appreciated!....pete

I have a solid axle 4a and do also drive it hard, TBH I wouldnt really bother with an LSD for a road car just get the suspension set up right and drive it on the throttle!

Stuart.

Nor was an LSD a catalogued option for the Sprint . . . . . but it was available from Special Tuning. For a hefty bag of shekels at the time.

Hardly a common fitment, if you can find a used one these days it will be very expensive, and of little (if any) benefit on a road car . . . .

Cheers,

Alec

Edited by Motorsport Mickey

As Stuart says a LSD although great on the track and required, is difficult to justify for road use. It WILL affect the general handling of the car and try to make the car go straight on at corners.

The corners where you may conceivably gain are those where you fully load the suspension and lean the car against the tyre and grip allowing the lock on the steering to release as the inner rear tyre squirms and loses traction.

I get a rap across the knuckles from the missus and instructions to behave if I do that on public roads.

Against that you will have the myriad of other corners where it's a bloody pain, the mid range 40-60mph corners you swing through now in two steering movements become "thruppnybit" with small straights inserted into the radii. If you increase speed enough you can get the lsd to drive correctly and the tyres ( blown up to concrete proportions to avoid the tyres rolling off the rim) to achieve the necessary slip angles (not skid) to balance the grip between front and rear and allow smooth corner transition. Of course they are handy to drive off grassy parked areas, but on public roads only give limited use.

I can think of lots better bang for your buck, but your car your choice.

Mick Richards