Aux relay placement

Gents,

As part of the restoration, I ordered a new autosparks loom, with a 'fan' option.

This means the wiring for an electrical fan is already in the loom, with the wires all clustered together by the nearside/passenger lights.

Im trying to find a solution to mount a relay for the fan, but also for the lights (3 relays in total) around that area.

What have others (who has the same fan option) done and where have they put the relay(s)? Why they Autosparks didnt think to use the area by the wiper motor I dont know (a nice accessible flat area)..but it is what it is.

Any suggestions? Would quite like a relay bar type of thing (strip of aluminium) but room is limited.

Thanks

Hi Andrew,

I have the same loom from Autosparks, and asked the relays to be wired for installation below the dashboard, so they would not be visible

That is what they did.

In hindsight this was not a good idea (from me), it is a very crowded area, I should have asked for installation on the A-post in the footwell.

I installed the relais on a piece of 1 mm steel plate, under/adjacent the steering column.

Lesson learnt for me.

Regards,

Waldi

Hi Andrew,

I have the same loom from Autosparks, and asked the relays to be wired for installation below the dashboard, so they would not be visible

That is what they did.

In hindsight this was not a good idea (from me), it is a very crowded area, I should have asked for installation on the A-post in the footwell.

I installed the relais on a piece of 1 mm steel plate, under/adjacent the steering column.

Lesson learnt for me.

Regards,

Waldi

Hi Andrew,
I also have the same loom from Autosparks.

When I asked for the additional relays for main and dipped beams, and electric fan, they asked me where I wanted them. I said around near the existing fuse box and in the end I mounted them in the inner wing, next to the existing fuse box.

post-239-0-73982400-1508604494_thumb.jpg

From memory the relay holders all clip together, so I have just screwed them to the panel.
Regards,
Martin

Hmmm,

Just shows how stupid some of us are.

I also have the same loom from Autosparks with the electric fan option.

But at no time did i think about an additional relay, so i didn't request one, err anywhere.

But i suppose i do know its that pink wire so i'll have to split the loom binding, which rather defeats the point and add it in somewhere, if i do end up with an electric fan.

Not actually 100% yet but it seemed like a prudent option to get the wiring added to the loom rather than try to fit it myself afterwards.

I'll now calm down and what the F1 Quali.

Hey Ho

Keith

Hi Andrew,

I also have the same loom from Autosparks.

When I asked for the additional relays for main and dipped beams, and electric fan, they asked me where I wanted them. I said around near the existing fuse box and in the end I mounted them in the inner wing, next to the existing fuse box.

attachicon.gifAdditional Relays (Small).JPG

From memory the relay holders all clip together, so I have just screwed them to the panel.

Regards,

Martin

Hi Martin,

That looks really neat....and what I should have done!

Keith,

I think you did what I have done..requested the fan option and left it to Autosparks.

In that case the wires all come out of the loom around that front passenger sidelight/indicator area.

The brown is connected to the fused brown, the green goes back to a green fused output and as you say, the pink terminates in the cabin for an override.

Waldi/Keith,

Looks like the options are to split the loom or alternatively find somewhere to mount them down near the guard.

I did something similar previously with a couple of rivnuts and a bit of aluminium strip and mounted the fuses bases on there that could work.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing!

Thanks

Edited by AndrewP

post-391-0-16596100-1508751693_thumb.jpg

Hi Andrew

Similar to Martin, I fitted the relays on the inside of the engine bay near to the fuse box. Although I have moved the original fuse box, then added and an extra fuse box for all the non-standard electrics. I made up up some ally plates, cut, shaped and painted them. One for the extra fuse box and one for the relays and the original fuse box. Then fitted them on the pass side of the engine bay. Both are raised with spacers to allow most of the wiring to be secured underneath the plates. Picture attached. Not a brilliant picture, but you should be able to make out what I've done. Perhaps you could rectify by running extensions back to the same area. A faf, but doable...

Best Bill

I always say that you must spec the loom to suit what you require and also where you want stuff to come up. I always have all the relays/extra fuses so that they can be fitted either too the top side of the kick panel left side just in front of the "A" post (Trim down the carpeted kick panel to suit.) Or up under the footwell top. That way they are out of sight and more importantly out of the weather compared to fitting under bonnet. Sorry chaps but having seen what happens to a Somerset based suppliers aux fuse/relay box when its fitted in the engine compartment of a car thats used in all weathers I never fit them underbonnet.

Stuart.