Triumph tr4a chassis

Hi Simon

I found myself in the same situation 2 years ago 1966 TR4A LHD, I took my chassis to CTM Engineering near Southampton, it was jigged and repaired. Excellent job carried out, also reinforced in all the vulnerable places, if you buy a replacement can you be sure it's straight. Don't think there are any differences but someone more knowledgeable than I may respond to that.

Best of luck

Paul

Edited by Paul J

Hi Simon, if it's a solid axle TR4a export, then I have a chassis that may be of use to you,

Pm sent.

Cheers,

Conrad .

Simon - welcome to the club and to TR ownership - I'm sure you will never regret your decision but it may be accompanied by lots of swearing!

Is yours an IRS or solid axled chassis?

As far as I am aware, if the latter, the main difference is in the differential mountings - a solid axled version doesn't have the complete forward bridge and mounting pins, but it does have the rear bridge but without the diff pins and their mounting brackets - the latter are readily available but I'm not so sure about the former. I don't think there are many other differences but no doubt more experienced members will comment further

Whereabouts is your chassis damaged and how badly? Any pictures would help.

Incidentally, whereabouts in the UK are you?

Cheers

Rich

Simon not sure if yours is IRS or solid, mine was a solid axle and damaged front offside the engine mount was about 16mm higher than the nearside.

Finding this damage was down to my naivety, should have been spotted before purchase but that's another lesson learned, it was obviously an expense I had not envisaged.

CTM cut out the damaged section and grafted in a new piece, they have a jig that ensures perfect alignment. While there rightly or wrongly I had my chassis changed to IRS and strengthened in all the vulnerable areas. Changing it to IRS mainly involved changing the dif bridge. Their work was extremely good and precise they will finish it to whatever you choose ie galvanise, powder coated or primed..

Cost was approx £3500.

Choosing this route in my mind was the best option for me as having the original chassis checked over and endorsed is so important on rebuild, it's the foundation stone.

They can also supply you with a complete new chassis.

Ive no connection to CTM other than being a satisfied customer.

Car now on the road and enjoying it immensely.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Glen at Protek repaired some accident damage in the front main rail on mine, then all the suspension stifferners were put in.

I was told by one of the veteran TR dealer that 90% of the TR's he has imported over 35 years have crash damage

and the majority are front left side.

Thank you everyone for your helpful and knowledgeable advice. Mine is an IRS chassis, generally it looks very solid, i jetwashed the years of crud off it last weekend and it still has a coating of the original black paint in places, I also found the original stanpart sticker. I think I am going to take the chassis to CTM as has been suggested. For interest I attach herewith a couple of pictures of the damage which was hidden behind the steering rack boot before disassembly. Simon