chrome wire wheels

Hi Julie,

wire wheels are a time consuming item to keep clean.

The way I did it was to use a long length of muslin cloth.

Apply the polish with this cloth. I would thread it through/around the spokes and pull either end in turn and move up/down the spoke.

Attack all the spokes and the centre hub.

Using another clean length of cloth do the same process and remove the polish.

Lock the car in the garage and don;t take it out.

Roger

Hi Julie,

Chrome wire wheels can be a pain to clean and keep clean, unless you enjoy spending lots of time on such things. When I go to town on the wheels, which only happens once a year at best, I remove them from the car, then use a degreaser to get the worst of the grime off, then use a brush and soapy water, then jet wash, then use a smaller brush and a chrome wire wheel cleaning product from one of the usual suppliers (make sure you get the one specifically for chrome wheels), to get into the more difficult areas. After that, I jet wash again and then use Autosol and a cloth to add shine.

As Roger says, only way to then keep them clean is to not take the car out. One thing I occasionally do is smear a thin coat of vaseline over the chrome. It doesn't keep it clean, but perhaps it makes it a little easier to clean the next time. I don't know if it's worth it or not to be honest.

Cheers, Darren

Get ready to have aching fingers working to get behind the spokes. Chrome wheels are a nightmare to keep clean but they do look nice.

I tend to find that as long as you clean them regularly, you can avoid polishing them (the spokes are stainless anyway) and wipe the brake dust away. Some polish on the rims and particularly the inside of the wheel (the back of the wheel) helps but I find Autoglym a bit harsh. There is a product recommended to me - I think it was this one (I'm at work and the bottle looks right). It has a wax in it that protects the chrome afterwards:

http://www.thepolishingshop.co.uk/acatalog/Belgom.html

Hi Richard,

the wax in the Belgum helps to slow down the Ali oxidising. Not required on Chrome.

You should not use an abrasive polish on chrome as it will wear away eventually.

I was recommended to use Windowlene - good cleaner and no abrasive.

Roger

Julie

I only use elbow grease! It takes 1.5 hours per wheel to do on a jig I have mounted on the bench, so I can sit down to do the work. It is particularly easy to clean the inside of the rim etc. by turning the jig around, and use a damp cloth first off, followed by a dry one.

I use a strip of cotton cloth about 18" long x 6" wide that I wrap around each spoke and the pull on the ends about 6 times each before sliding up the spokes.

I have just come home from Switzerland and 2330 miles of sometimes wet weather so they are good and dirty, so I only do one wheel a day as it makes your fingers ache something awful.

When they are done it is worth the effort, and I do get frequently asked hoe do I get them so clean as they glint I the sun when moving off.

I recently repainted the rear brake drums silver instead of black and I think it makes them look even better.

Dave

Bimey, you lot do it the hard way - all you need is the MWS cleaning kit; two bottles of solution (cleaner and polisher) and a soft brush then either wipe yo a shine or air dry - all done in about 60 - 90 minutes!

Cheers

Andrew

+1

Take the wheel off - 15 mins per wheel tops.. Simples...

TR4ffic

Not if they are done properly.(spotless)

Ohh - I beg to differ... The MWS Cleaning Kit works a treat and they do come up spotless and bright... They were new in March, though ;)

On my 4a with chrome wires, I went down the...

...use elbow grease! It takes 1.5 hours per wheel...

...route. What a faff..!

Hi Julie,

I think Alec's suggestion of PTFE spray relates specifically to protecting the chrome from corrosion. I occasionally use vaseline for this purpose, but Alec's suggestion is better I think. However, I'm not sure that it would stop dust from settling on the wheels or dirt attaching.

Halfords stock PTFE spray and it can also be found from online suppliers.

With wire wheels it's always going to be a job to keep them clean. If you are not keen on that, how about getting some steel wheels for winter and then just using the wires when the weather is good.

Cheers, Darren

Where can you get steel wheels with centre lock attachments???

Tom.

I thought you already had them Tom?

Stuart.