Clutch Condition after 24 years

Hi All

With a lot of help from a fellow club member,we removed the gearbox from my 1971 Tr 6 today. The reason for removing the box was because the drive started slipping, however it wasn't clear if it was the clutch or the overdrive (A Type). Either way the box had to come out.

The clutch was fitted on 27th of April 1993 and has covered approx 95,000 miles. I acquired the car 4 years later and removed the engine and gearbox to replace the ring gear on the flywheel. I decided at the time to leave the clutch and only replaced the fork pin with a new hardened one. This decision has been vindicated as its been fine over all that time, but what to do now. What do you all think of the condition of the clutch, and would my best plan be to get it reconditioned, I would like to keep the Laycock cover .I can't see any reason for the drive slip from the clutch,the shaft , fork and pin are fine, any thoughts

Thanks

Cameron

post-916-0-76209000-1508343034_thumb.jpg

post-916-0-36178200-1508343059_thumb.jpg

post-916-0-23266200-1508343090_thumb.jpg

post-916-0-98690400-1508343143_thumb.jpg

post-916-0-64471000-1508343184_thumb.jpg

post-916-0-36154600-1508343212_thumb.jpg

If it had fewer miles on it I would have asked if the bolts that hold the Laycock cover to the flywheel were too long, thus not clamping the cover fully to the flywheel. Worth checking by screwing the bolts back into the flywheel to see how far they go in before binding.

Do you know if the flywheel and clutch are balanced? - That would explain the white lines and centre pop marking on the clutch cover.

If it were mine I would Recon the Laycock cover for sure, then consider a replacement or reconditioned friction plate.

Get the release bearing sorted too while you are in there with a genuine RHP item, if you think it needs it.

Alec will be along in a while with where to get the cover and plate sorted out.

Peter W

Hi Cameron,

my recommendation for reconditioning would be to Simon at Precision Clutch . . . . . feel free to mention my name, he's good at looking after TR folks.

I've used PC for more than 30 years, going back to their original Croydon location, always served me well as a private customer and in years gone by as a motor factor.- and never a problem.

I reckon their prices very reasonable, considering the quality of workmanship - of course there are cheaper reconditioners, but I'd rather pay for a proper job than have to take the 'box out again !!

Cheers,

Alec

Hi Cameron

Have you tried Alan Gibb, he may have some Laycock clutches and he is not far from you. If the clutch was slipping I would have expected to see some blueing on the flywheel and cover plate. Perhaps the problem lies with the overdrive, I know poor adjustment can give these symptoms. Steve Craig is the man to talk to.

Cheers

Richard

Just my opinion, but based on those pics, the clutch looks fine.

Plenty of meat left on the drive plate (both sides) and the surfaces of the flywheel and pressure plate looks OK (little bit of chatter or perhaps the machining marks on the flywheel?). No overly concerning wear on the fingers either. Id say it looked very healthy for a 90K+ setup.

No blue-ing either so it hasnt gotten too hot.

Id certainly be looking at the OD as the primary culprit if it were me faced with your situation.

However..saying that whilst the box is out...would I replace or at least get the clutch refreshed...yep as its a hassle pulling the box if it fails in 10K.

Just my 5c

Edited by AndrewP

Hi Richard

I have spoken to Steve about this and he drove the car prior to removing the box. We both found the slipping difficult to pin down as it was inconsistent. I will be taking the box down to Steve in the next few weeks and we will strip it down and see whats going on with the overdrive. At this time my main concern is getting a quality clutch organised, I'll see about reconditioning the current cover and will also give Gibby a ring,thanks.

Thanks Peter, I'm glad you agree, just need to set it up again for another 90K+ miles :rolleyes:

Cameron

Clutch on it’s way to Precision Clutch’s,happy that’s the best choice for me.

Thanks again Alec, keep well.

Cameron

They did mine for my 4a last winter, cracking job and good turnround time too.

Stuart.