Fuel pressure TR6

I made my own, from a spare oil pressure gauge and a length of Aeroquip hose.    But you need to damp the gauge, else the pump pressure oscillation will wobble the needle off!      A restrictor in the hose connector,  a disc of copper with a tiny hole in the middle, does it.

JOhn

2 hours ago, Raymond Guy said:

Does anyone know where I can buy pressure test kit for TR6?

Hi Raymond, in the earlier post there’s a link to this thread. It’s a few years old but I think the part no’s are still relevant.

2 hours ago, Raymond Guy said:

Does anyone know where I can buy pressure test kit for TR6?

I have one I could sell, I will send you a PM.

The electric guages are the better option for pressure testing in real use conitions.

The analogue ones are fine for measuring pressure when you've got the bonnet open  but you don't really want a pipe full of fuel at pressure in the cockpit when driving.

A weak pump or a stuck PRV may read an entirely normal 105 PSI at tickover but you need a prv that functions to allow a good pump to deliver that pressure at full throttle and max revs.  A tired pump may well not deliver enough fuel to maintain 105psi at the flow rate needed for ful beans and revs - leading to the pressure dropping and the mixture leaning off and the power dying away precipitously at high revs.

I saw my old post in here looking for one and I thought it might be relevant to post the cure. I never did get around to getting the fuel pressure tester, as I found the cause...

PI system, Bosch pump with its own direct wires. Car would be very random in starting, sometimes unsuccessful, other times it would just fire away. Fuel pump couple be heard whirring away as expected pre start. Once going it ran like a dream.

One day, I thought I'd go back to square 1, I got the lad to hold his hand on the pump while I cranked it over. Bingo. It stopped. Somehow in rewiring the ignition, when it went to Start, the pump stopped, but when released back to ON it started again. Of course the pump going quiet was masked by the starter motor, and was back whirring before the starter stopped spinning....

6 hours ago, stallie said:

I saw my old post in here looking for one and I thought it might be relevant to post the cure. I never did get around to getting the fuel pressure tester, as I found the cause...

PI system, Bosch pump with its own direct wires. Car would be very random in starting, sometimes unsuccessful, other times it would just fire away. Fuel pump couple be heard whirring away as expected pre start. Once going it ran like a dream.

One day, I thought I'd go back to square 1, I got the lad to hold his hand on the pump while I cranked it over. Bingo. It stopped. Somehow in rewiring the ignition, when it went to Start, the pump stopped, but when released back to ON it started again. Of course the pump going quiet was masked by the starter motor, and was back whirring before the starter stopped spinning....

So Stallie...Did you manage to find a solution...if so what did you do.....Why do you think when the pump was held it cut out?

2 hours ago, jogger321 said:

So Stallie...Did you manage to find a solution...if so what did you do.....Why do you think when the pump was held it cut out?

Problem would have been there was no power going to the pump in the start position, so incorrectly wired.

Stuart.