Lucas RMS 576 roof spotlight

Hi Isaac,

I will measure the dimensions on my hardtop. The Lucas RMS was fitted by the Competitions Department so it will be interesting to see if its centred!

post-7533-0-43346300-1507812657_thumb.jpg As fitted

Original mounting holes revealed...blanked by Gearbox bung for 50+years!

post-7533-0-19170200-1507813101_thumb.jpg

post-7533-0-11442900-1507813557_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Iain

Edited by iain

Another one but unfortunately been vandalised years ago, crying shame.

Stuart.

post-3753-0-68524600-1507819226_thumb.jpg

post-3753-0-95332100-1507819246_thumb.jpg

Edited by stuart

Hi Iain ~

Nice to see the Ace Mercury wheel trims again!

Tom.

Hi Tom

they are an acquired taste! :D

But seeing as they are as given to Ken Richardson himself by the Directors of Corner Croft I occasional put them on.......never drive with them tho they come off all too easily. :o

Iain

Worth knowing that the hardtop mounted swivelling spotlights used in 50s rallying are, I'm pretty sure, illegal these days !! However, Mr Plod and modern MOT Testers will almost certainly not know that......I had one on the TR2 for some years, and it was never objected to. I seem to recall that it is the swivelling-ness that is the illegal bit.....fixed ones on the roof are ok I think. Bill P.

Worth knowing that the hardtop mounted swivelling spotlights used in 50s rallying are, I'm pretty sure, illegal these days !! However, Mr Plod and modern MOT Testers will almost certainly not know that......I had one on the TR2 for some years, and it was never objected to. I seem to recall that it is the swivelling-ness that is the illegal bit.....fixed ones on the roof are ok I think. Bill P.

May also be to do with it being a single one as nowadays any additional driving lights must be fitted in pairs.

Stuart.

Isaac as promised

the centre of the large hole is 8" from the front edge of the Hardtop, centred on the width.

The three smaller holes for securing the fitting are arrange in a triangle two parallel with the front edge of the hardtop one at the rear. As per the third photo above.

Trust this helps, I concur with BillP and Stuart that the light is illegal to use in the UK.

Iain

In my day (yes, OK, stop sniggering in class), my 'works' drivers used to want the co-driver to act as a 'corner-finder' on unpracticed special stages by keeping one hand on the interior handle, and swivelling the lamp towards the fast-approaching bend. Worked a treat usually- unless the stage was bumpy, in which case the beam would be all over the place !

Hon. Pres.

Many thanks for all of your rapid responses, especially to Iain who kindly measured his own car. The forums are a great facility.

My understanding of the legalities is the same as Toms, at least that is quoted in the original Lucas bumf sheet. The law may have changed of course since this was printed.

Anyway I,m too old to worry about such trivialities!

Interestingly I have had this light in store for around 6 or seven years, and yes Tom mine was considerably more than £12. 10s!

Isaac