TR7 V8 Edelbrock 500 Carb FLAMES!

So...I parked old Bertie up when his Power steering gave up the ghost..

Been off the road for a month worked absolutely fine up until he was parked.

removed the rack had it refurbed refitted it and the car has become VERY difficult to start..when it does it runs for just a few secinds maybe 10 at best and I often get a blast of Flames from the top of the carb..

I would guess timing but how could that happen being parked and not moved for a month.

Any Advice much appreciated

Backfire mostly is the reason for fire in the carb.

It results from lean mixture.

So maybe there is a cold start problem or fuel

might became old over summer and lost its

easy atomizing parts.

There are many other reasons like rats

that eat cables but the above is the first to look after.

My first port of call would be to take off the top of the carburettor and check that nothing has blocked the movement of the floats. If a float sticks it can cause a trickle of fuel into the inlet that then ignites back through the carb. Anyone who has set the floats on a Holley will tell you about loosing their eyebrows because of this.

I would put it back together with a new gasket between the top and the body of the Edelbrock as well and be very careful to take out the needles first by undoing the covers part way, sliding to one side and gently lift the needle out with it's spring. Fail to do this and they'll fly over the garage when you take them out or if yu leave them in you risk bending them or scoring the jet on reassembly.

• 2 weeks later...