Is the Moss £60+ TR5 bonnet badge worth getting?

My current repro badge has lasted about 2 years and over the summer (yes we had one), it has started to separate and the beige plastic has shrunk. Now looks awful and needs to be replaced. I have seen the various posts around badges from 2012 onwards and cannot see that there is a definitive place to get replacements. I also have an original that has suffered wear over the years, but refurb will cost between £100-£200. Any pointers gratefully received.

Mike

Hi Mike, I used Pamela Andrews down south, cost £140 ish and took ages , but a great result.

So in my opinion, well worth having an original redone by them.

Have fun,

Conrad.

I don't know about the quality of the Moss badge Mike, but for a few quid more I think I'd do as Conrad suggests and get your original restored.

I'm always on the look out for badges and found a bonnet one on Ebay a few weeks ago. It was claimed to be an original, but I wasn't sure from looking at the pictures. I bid on it anyway, as I like to have a spare, and got it for £55. It does look old, but I'm still not sure if it is genuine or not.

Cheers, Darren

Edited by TR5tar

A few years ago Charles at the Roadster Factory was talking about having a batch of these made up, might be worth a look.

Not enough demand, apparently, which doesn't surprise since only 1/3 as many were made as '250s. TRF's '250 badge is even better than original which were very good to begin with, and are evident by their perfection. Mine wear their repros, though I keep an original in vgc.

Batch size needed is the enquiry I'd make of Charles were I wanting one ;) .

Cheers,

Tom

Thanks guys. Seems there is no knowledge of good supplies of repro badges. I have bitten the bullet and got one from Moss and will fit that. My original can go off to Pamella Andrews and once back will be my failsafe to fit if/when the Moss one falls apart. Splitting the atom appears easier than getting a decent repro TR5 badge!!!

Mike

I Inquired about a N.O.S. one with one of the Traders at Malvern this year and was told £750?!! :o

I think I will leave my original badges with 49 years of Patina in place

Keep your original in the draw and fit a repro, they look ok from 10ft away and wont worry you so much if it goes walkabout.

Stuart.

I'll wager the TR5 cohort on this forum is just large enough to get Charles Runyan to get a batch of these done; everyone could then sport a perfect one and keep the original, if slightly inferior badge on the shelf -_- .

That would require uncharacteristic collaboration ^_^ , anathema to ruggedly individualistic TR owners.

Cheers,

Tom