right front wheel sticks out further than the left one

Have noticed that the right tyre came in light contact with the inner side of the fender. I have centre-locked minators mounted with 19mm spacer. So I thought of reducing the spacer maybe down to 14 or 13mm. Today I had a look for the left side but I could notice only a very small area at the fender where the tire could rubbed. At a closer look I realized, that the right wheel sticks out further than the left one, approximately 10 mm, maximum 1/2 inch.

Never noticed any influence during driving, so it is more or less a optical thing.

But I would like to know why? Is ist because the bodywork is not joined correctly with he frame? Or is there an option to adjust the chassis independent from the joining? Or what else could be the reason?

And what should I do with the spacer? Should I use a smaller one at the right side and a bigger at the left? Normally I would say with that I will destroy the balance of the chassis. I am not sure what to do.

Any ideas?

regards

Carsten

Do you mean that the tyre rubs on the wing, or is a fender the chrome bumper?
Well it may be a steering geometry problem but the fact you have quite large spacers may be the main reason, do you really need the spacers that thick?
Plus depends upon the size of the wheel and tyre but try fitting thinner spacers to each side and keep them the same thickness.

A picture would help

I meant the wing. I have used the same spacer at each side. means, even without spacer will be still a difference between the right and the left wheel. I will make some picture but I guess the will not show much.

Presumably you have the spacers fitted because you've retained the standard wheel studs when fitting the centre lock hubs. You could try a thinner spacer but you absolutely must be sure that the studs don't poke through so far as to foul the wheels. Personally I'd get a set of wire wheel studs and fit those then ditch the spacers.

Asymmetry isn't unusual, it's not right though and the spacers will accentuate the offset look.

Fenders=wings in English English.

Edited by peejay4A

Go back to basics, measure the wings ( fenders) for depth from the outer edge of the wheel arch roll back to the inner wing join and compare, they may be different.

Mick Richards

I suggest that most TR body shells are offset to a degree. Some are offset on the chassis, some bodys or wings are different left to right and some are bent.

When the cars were new with standard wheels you'd have had to look very hard to see it but with the current trend towards wider wheels, wider tyres and lowered suspension the tyres are closer to the arches and differences become obvious to the naked eye. I know of at least two people in my group running different width spacers on each side of their cars to place the wheels evenly in the arches.

Next time you are in the company of a few TRs take a look around and set your mind at rest. I've seen some beautiful cars with horrendous offsets.

Meanwhile I suggest that your spacer widths and suspension height should be refined to ensure that no contact occurs.

Edited by Drewmotty

Accident damage might be the issue here on the right hand side ( from driver's seat ? ).

Any way a measurement check might confirm or eliminate the situation.

I suggest a wooden batten , a little longer than the width of the tyre and a tape measure.

Take three measurements each side of the car. You're going to measure from the inside of the batten , which is placed firmly against the rubber tyre,

to the inner wing ( the metal that forms the engine bay ). If you regard the wheel as being a clock face , take measurements at 9.00 o'clock , 12.00 o'clock and the 3.00 o'clock. Repeat at the other side of the car.

If the car has not been damaged in it's life , the measurements should be roughly the same ,mid line of the tyre front of the car , top of the tyre and rear mid line of the car positions.

If the measurements are shorter on the side you have the rubbing , you are getting to the route of the problem. Don't forget that the inner wing may have been pushed over towards the centre of the car and a damaged wing replaced with a new wing ( maybe an original or a poor reproduction one ! ). If it was a severe side impact both inner wings may have been pushed over from the "vertical " creating "more space " on the far side of the point of impact , leaving restricted space on the crash side.

With standard wheels / no spacers there would have been a reasonable gap or at least not enough for someone to notice a difference.

This is all speculation on my part .. don't panic at this stage... examine the evidence and see " what ya got ! "

Let us know the outcome please.

Bob

Edited by bob-menhennett

Don't panic, Carsten, my ex-California car has never been in a collision, and the rear wheels have different clearance on each side. About 10mm. I believe it can be improved (if not completely corrected) by lifting the body off the chassis, then re-mounting. I had to run spacers at the rear after converting to telescopic dampers (shocks). Let us know what you find. Austin

thanks for your comments. I calmed down a bit in the last hours. The car had a crash many years ago and I have to change the frame. I think its possible that the garage was not that accurate when changing the frame, so maybe it is it. After driving a little round I have compared again the left with the right, it is not more than 10mm, maybe less. To make a more reliable statement I must take time and measure more thoroughly. Good to read that some guys uses different spacers on one axle. It is not recommended to do this, usually. The problem for testing are the studs. I have centrelocks wheels and so the bolts must get cut directly behind the nut. With bad luck I need plenty of them to get my desired result.

Have noticed that the right tyre came in light contact with the inner side of the fender. I have centre-locked minators mounted with 19mm spacer. So I thought of reducing the spacer maybe down to 14 or 13mm. Today I had a look for the left side but I could notice only a very small area at the fender where the tire could rubbed. At a closer look I realized, that the right wheel sticks out further than the left one, approximately 10 mm, maximum 1/2 inch.

Never noticed any influence during driving, so it is more or less a optical thing.

But I would like to know why? Is ist because the bodywork is not joined correctly with he frame? Or is there an option to adjust the chassis independent from the joining? Or what else could be the reason?

And what should I do with the spacer? Should I use a smaller one at the right side and a bigger at the left? Normally I would say with that I will destroy the balance of the chassis. I am not sure what to do.

Any ideas?

regards

Carsten

I noticed the other weekend at a car show that all TR6's LH rear wheel sticks out more than the RHS. Presumably the body isn't symmetrical on the chassis.

today I made a new measurement with water level. At the front it is at a certain measure point 6mm, that the left tire sticks further out. What wonders me is that at the back axle it is vice verca, here ist is the right wheel what sticks more out, appr. 8mm. So the body sits maybe more ore less obliquely on the frame. I hope (and think) that these results have no critical consequences. Why should they, I am driving this setup since more than 10 years. So I will just reduce the spacers vom 19mm down to 13. With bad luck my 205/70/15ers will touch than the body from the inner side.

I didn't know anyone made 19mm spacers. I certainly wouldn't be happy with them. You don't need to cut down the studs if you're not comfortable with doing it. Just order some studs for wire wheel hubs and fit those. If the tyres still foul bodywork or suspension go down to 195 section tyres, don't bodge it, they'll still look good.

Edited by peejay4A

I suggest that most TR body shells are offset to a degree. Some are offset on the chassis, some bodys or wings are different left to right and some are bent.

When the cars were new with standard wheels you'd have had to look very hard to see it but with the current trend towards wider wheels, wider tyres and lowered suspension the tyres are closer to the arches and differences become obvious to the naked eye. I know of at least two people in my group running different width spacers on each side of their cars to place the wheels evenly in the arches.

Next time you are in the company of a few TRs take a look around and set your mind at rest. I've seen some beautiful cars with horrendous offsets.

Meanwhile I suggest that your spacer widths and suspension height should be refined to ensure that no contact occurs.

1960 & 70's engineering :blink:

try to get new spacers in 13mm. The guy which build them needs the diameter of the hub for the spacers central hole. The circle for the rim (proper english?) is the same than many Mazda´s have: 4/114,3mm. But the Mazda´s central hole is just 54,1mm. I guess that ist to little.

• 3 years later...

Hello everyone,

I recently bough a 75 TR6 and i have the same issue with the front right wheel. Its sticking out about an inch, the tire rubs the fender on right hand turns and in some bumps. We changed the frame and after spending a good amount of time and money putting everything back together the tire still sticks out. Any ideas???

See images attached

PXL_20210312_153219645.MP.jpg

PXL_20210312_153207850.jpg

Edited by harraz
attach pictures

You appear to have too much positive camber, you can add shims to the lower arm. What tyre and wheel combination do you have? Is it the same both sides? 

Gareth

Looks like the wheels have the wrong offset or you have a spacer behind the wheel as the tyre width doesn’t look excessive, neither will be kind to the stub axles and wheel bearings. Have you checked the camber? It can make a big difference to the positioning of the top of the tyre. 
Most TRs are offset to one side or the other, if you revert to the standard setup the car will drive better and the offset won’t be noticed.