Interior question

Bought a new bracket b/w the plinth and the center console, but it comes in "steel" #43 - is this supposed to be painted black or covered with vinyl? Former owner had a piece rigged in and was poorly covered, figured this one would be bolt up - but guess not.

TRI-083_1.gif

I have a spare reasonable condition Tr4 one if you are interested (not sure if you have a TR4 or 4A

Graeme

Many thanks. Already have it hand, just didn't know if I needed to buy paint or vinyl - vinyl it is.

Cheers.

Don

Don - just in case there may be some confusion here, item 43 in the diagram, as mentioned in your first post, is part of a TR4 set up and connects the H frame ( item 44) to the dash and is often referred to as the radio plate or similar if they are opened up to take a radio - they can be just blank plates - as far as I am aware, these items were originally painted black - I think it was matt black rather than satin but definitely not glossy.

The TR4A was a much more elaborate affair ( item 45) which included an extension piece which fitted over and around the gear lever and did not have a separate "radio plate" - it was part of the frame - this item was foamed covered and finished in a moulded black vinyl, matching the crash pads - the opening in the frame to allow for radio fitting is blanked off with an steel blanking plate covered in a matching vinyl.

Hope this clears up which one you have, because the finishes are different

Cheers

Rich

as far as I am aware, these items were originally painted black - I think

it was matt black rather than satin but definitely not glossy.

Both of my 1962 TR4s had this plate covered in vinyl.

I think later 4s and 4As were the same, but I have no

direct experience.

Need to check against BillPs books.

AlanR

I've got a 62 & a 64 car both just painted panels, but after this much time I've no idea if that was the original spec...

I may try paint and if I'm not happy with the results, I can then cover with vinyl. Hoping to find some nice flat black bed liner paint or something with some texture. Couldn't believe the hefty piece of steel that arrived for just connecting the shifter frame to the console/dash. This thing is heavy.

Don