clutch slave cylinder replacement

I am fitting a new clutch slave cylinder and hose ( to solve my slow release clutch problem of a few posts ago - I think it was the hose, thanks). But I can't get any fluid pumped through the system. I think when I was disconnecting the old cylinder I tried working the clutch when the rod that bears on the release arm was disconnected - I was still trying to find out which bit of the system was sticking. That presumably pushed the piston in the master cylinder fully in.

Now it is all connected with the new parts I can't get it to pump any oil, I presume because the piston on the master cylinder is in. The pedal only works a rod which bears on the piston, so I can't use that to pull the piston out. With no clutch I can't drive to a petrol station to use an airline to force it out.

I see now that it was fatal to disconnect with the master cylinder fully depressed, since it is only the springs in the release , with the oil in the pipes and slave that returns the piston in the master.

Does anyone have any neat suggestions ?

There is a spring in the master cylinder which should return the pushrod, remove the rubber boot and then remove the circlip and the pushrod. Take the master off and then bang it front end down on your bench this should free it off.. While your at it eject the guts of the cylinder and clean it all out and see if the bore is OK and check the rubbers carefully for swelling/deformity. If so then put a kit in it.If not replace it but keep the pushrod as the new cylinders often have the wrong length rod.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

New cylinders can be dubious quality. I bought a new slave at the Lincoln international and had it fitted on site. I ended driving home with no clutch. I have had endless problems until I sent my master and slave off the Past Parts.

They sleeved the cylinder with stainless steel and fitted new seals. After these were installed the hydraulics worked well and I concentrated on other problems.

Is there ever an end to it. ?

Richard & H

• 2 weeks later...

Repair kits don't last very long, i would replace the master cylinder while you're a it.

You have me worried. Having had a leaking master cylinder I repaired both with repair kits I bought from Moss.

What do you mean they don't last very long? From own experience?