Front coil springs..Rating and length?

After much thought and comments from members I went with standard springs and dampers on my front suspension rebuild

due to there being so many pot holes on the roads. If it were a track car I may not have.

So far I havent regretted it. The only issue I have is the ride height hasnt settled yet, the gap in th wheel arch went from 5" to 4" to about 3.5".

I have just had a similar dilemma following the failure of a front spring on my 4A. I fitted replacements from Rimmer, only to find that the front of the car was unacceptably high. In a subsequent conversation with Moss, I was told that there was no specification for the front springs for the 4A, and consequently they sold those to the 5 and 6 spec for the 4A, both of which have a heavier engine. I was most fortunate as a fellow 4A owner has just fitted lowered springs and sold me his old front springs. The alternative, if you don't want your car to look as if something has startled it, would appear to be to fit lowered springs, with which my contact was quite satisfied.

Hi Geoff

Did the springs work out OK? The stiffer lower springs seem to give the same ride height as the originals and as you said I am happy with them. A friend of mine has just done the same conversion. He is not a TR register user but I know he is keen to sell on his front and rear original 4a springs. If any one wants original springs send me a PM.

As a matter of interest, I think my rear ride height is marginally higher now. My friend who just changed his springs found there was quite a large (1 inch deep) metal packing at the top of his rear springs in between the spring insulator and the top of the turret. He removed these and his ride height is good. I will check as to whether mine has this packing fitted and it was just stuck up there and I did not notice them when I changed the springs. Has anyone got information about the packing? It does not appear in the Moss catalogue although it does say some were fitted at the factory to adjust ride height. Why would 4a's have different rear ride heights ex factory? Sloppy build quality? Stuart I am betting you know!!

Cheers

Simon

The shims were used by the factory "As required" to correct variance in springs and chassis as the springs came from varying suppliers also to correct the "Look" of the car due to a variance in how the body sat too.

Stuart.

Simon,

The springs are fine thanks and the ride height is correct. Having just done 700 miles touring in Spain I am more than happy. Apropos the spacers, apart from original fit, these can be used to replace the standard insulators and are available in various thicknesses of polythene to adjust ride height as the springs weaken - I bought some from Revington three or four years ago which did the job very well. With your springs I used the standard insulators from Rimmers which gave the correct ride height straight away.

Geoff