What are the best carpets

Hi

Looking to trim the tr3a

Do i go for wool or the standard nylon type carpets?

Just concerned wool may absorb damp

Also wheres the best place to buy

Thanks

If you are working on the TR3A, I think the nylon are correct, wool was used on earlier cars but is nicer IMO. The "wool" carpets I got from John Skinner for my Herald were some sort of synthetic but nicely molded and fit well with a very woolly appearance and feel. May not be any comparison with TR3 carpets.

When I took my other TR3 out of 30 year storage in an unheated but otherwise dry barn, the nylon carpets were soaked with very little metal left underneath. Probably less of a worry with newer materials.

Tom

I used Skinners for a full Wool set and agree with Edwins comments. They are made to have a fairly thick underlay which I think was supplied with the kit and all fittings.

Iain

I had my set from Danbury Carpets. Cheap enough not to worry about a soaking and they were helpful enough to make me a one off replacement for the driver's heel mat.

Edited by peejay4A

Over 35 years in the biz must count for something?

Have had Some issues with them, But they did carpet, trim, Seats, weather equipment, sidescreens .

They made the top and tonneau to My exact specs, they had to adjust it twice But all shipment etc was no problem.

Very relaxed in dealing with.

I myself just ordered a wool set for my TR2 from Skinner.

I was under the impression (given the cost) that this is proper wool, well trimmed and correctly cut to original spec.

I would hope this lasts 30 years. Of course there won't be wet drives if I can help it.

@Edwin you seem to be happy with yours and your car looks perfect. The cost of shipping here to SA is crazy so I'll only want to do it once.

I neglected to ask on the forum before ordering this time around, but surely (even if overly expensive) the carpets would be good enough for a future "as original" restoration without issues?

Since I also want to get a correct to original interior (Stone vyanide ) I'd prefer to deal with whomever is closest to original.

The future restore will be to a very high standard, but not planning to make a d'elegance out of the car at all.

I just feel all components done now should be correct and last 20-30 years with very little deterioration.

Dirk

@Edwin you seem to be happy with yours and your car looks perfect. The cost of shipping here to SA is crazy so I'll only want to do it once.

I neglected to ask on the forum before ordering this time around, but surely (even if overly expensive) the carpets would be good enough for a future "as original" restoration without issues?

Dirk

Hi Dirk,

thank you ! yes im happy with it. i had to do some little adjustments. I havent used the underfelt because it looked too thick, i glued the carpets parts on the tunnel cover (if on some occasion it all gets wet i can take out the tunnel cover to dry in inhouse), I left the lower 4 cm free without glue, to have access to the bolts.

ywZ3FDpBbtehh8CVDmGqCr_FFNpXdAIF5maj1r25

82XieyynWDflZ8qarXB5oiUAh2WyiKf3q5U1JtQX

For the original looks, the rubber gearstick cover should be over the carpet. there a little flap of rubber which sits in the edge of the gearstick hole in the tunnel. with the later cars the carpet was over the rubber. not the tr2.

i glued the sides of the footwell, the panel on the drivers side has a little dent to accomodate the foot on the dipswitch. For this i stretched the carpet a bit after heating it with a hair dryer. mind you. not too close the back of the carpet could melt.

sAunF2MSpdiUkkZ7fBes7gTe2BQro8MtRBADTIRo

The little pieces vertical near the wheelarches are glues too and i used the piping of the wheelarch trim as a seam between carpet and leather.

sFpHt1PW5JP-A3dU4ssSOom34NQg6yNiNPMpZ90X

i used a couple of layers underfelt on the top of the tunnel between the seats, the carpet is a straight piece but should be moulded a bit, with the layers i was able to fill it nicely enough. the rest is held in place with buttons (carpet ones so on top you wont see them)

uSgcMKBMpuBLYOmWzV8e1yictXiMgfz2fSt6fp3i

Hopefully you have ordered the carpet for the boot too ? its not in the kit if i remember correctly..

cB62aUTDW3oZjAwcjdNaa12lI5_BI9oIl5uzP-bm

Edited by EdwinTiben

Don't know about Skinner's carpets but their seat springs are truly awful.

I have shown the carpets on the first page.

You mean these springs?

The ones i have in the car and driven 2016 coupe des alpes and 2017 10 countries run and a total of almost 9000 km since restoration without any problems ? :D:P:ph34r:

others i have seen are too stiff which makes you sit on top on the car..

Interesting to see how different experiences can be..

xYyuW5QyxPCcMwGABgOhWamSCt-9JPGK6oKPskq-

yQJW_IfdIeLNnVgPLhQuMa_jMlm7EsqST2dn6Fmu

g3XuZ3faD_A-WSoJ3tfN53b066fMso26L8Iu6Agi

Edited by EdwinTiben

So do you need the underlay kit?

Looks like ill avoid the skinner product...expensive compared to others but no difference in quality

As i leave the roof down all the time..aero screens..i think the wool is not an option

Thanks for the photos and tips Edwin!

I can't see anything wrong there at all.

I did not order underfelt. Chiefly because I couldn't figure out if it was original, but also because that is something I can get locally if I need to.

I did order a boot carpet as well. Black though as I am convinced through research that that was the most likely colour. Also, because a Fawn coloured carpet in the boot seems like a recipe for carpet cleaning...

The rest of interior will have to wait for now but the carpeting will go a long way to improving the TR's general look.

Dirk

Thanks for the photos and tips Edwin!

I can't see anything wrong there at all.

I did not order underfelt. Chiefly because I couldn't figure out if it was original, but also because that is something I can get locally if I need to.

I did order a boot carpet as well. Black though as I am convinced through research that that was the most likely colour. Also, because a Fawn coloured carpet in the boot seems like a recipe for carpet cleaning...

The rest of interior will have to wait for now but the carpeting will go a long way to improving the TR's general look.

Dirk

Black was the most common used color, allthough there were tr2 delivered with a matching color to the rest, according to the books of Piggott.

I understand the decision regarding Fawn and dirt :)

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a carpet and trim set 7 years ago and found it to be a Skinners set and not a TR Bitz set that I had great results with and that I thought I was getting.

Just got round to trying to get it to fit due to house move and am disappointed to say the least. I feel inclined to consign it to the bin! Nothing fits and the tunnel carpets seem too short.

Can anyone suggest a classic car trimmer in Worcestershire?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Just about to shop for a set of carpets for my recently acquired TR3A.

The commission number is TS59432L

But the rear seat looks like the later post 60,000 straight metalwork, so I am thinking I will have to order the post 60k version of the carpet set. I know that changes were variable around the 60k number.

Is there anything else I should think about, please, before deciding on which set.

I would like wool, and happy to pay a bit more, but slightly worried by some suggestions that 'wool' does not always mean 'wool'

Looking at TR shop, Moss, Rimmer, Classic car carpets, Prestige, Car Capets, SC parts, can't cope with all the choice!!

I'm expecting to fit black, as that was its original. It's by no means an original car being a converted US import, but its in nice condition and well sorted. I'm not overly fussed about concours as it is a car to drive and enjoy, (and I am!) and it has lost any chance to be that anyway. (I love some of the red interior pictures, but not sure they would suit a Signal Red body. Any thoughts?)

Thanks for reading. Hope to get some replies

post-15167-0-83954900-1508404445_thumb.jpg