Roll over bars

Are they all sold as cosmetic, because no one will put their name to how they have been fitted? Makes sense.

I can see they are somewhat a 'piece of mind' item, but I'd rather have one in play in a roll over than not.

Seems there are not many options around.

I really like the look of this one, but isn't available - http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=65547&SortOrder=10

This seems to be most common, not available in Moss, but VB have them. http://www.victoriabritish.com/icatalog/tc/full.aspx?Page=162

I'm keeping my eye on EBay and CL.

If anyone has a bar to sell, let me know.

You seem confused..."somewhat a peace of mind item" .

Roll over bars have been proven life savers many times in the UK and worldwide in competition, and if you think you don't compete ...forget it. Every time you make a road manoeuvre or take a fast curve a correctly fitted roll over bar with a cross car angled brace ( unlike the bar shown in your second listing, the Moss one is fine) will be covering you and your occupants back. Have no doubt an excursion into soft ground side wards even at a lowly 10-15 mph is enough to roll the car, we've seen it happen a number of times with the occupants saved by the roll over bar. Your windscreen and if an alloy backlight with Surrey top is fitted will be flat to the door sides but your life will be saved or severe injury prevented. Even more likely a sideways impact into the cockpit area by a badly driven car or SUV which will normally lozenge the shell and rupture the fuel tank is also resisted and helps prevent death and injury to you.

Whilst you are thinking about safety fit an alloy rear firewall screen behind the rear of cockpit "comedy" hardboard panel. Again if you wanted to compete the Motorsport association wouldn't let you without this fitted (what do they know huh ?). They think if you rivet a 2mm alloy panel ( every 25mm) onto a bed of intumescent sealer (swells up with heat and fire) around the rear of the cockpit onto the frame in front of the fuel tank it will prevent fuel flooding into the cockpit and then maybe igniting and toasting you and yours...real jokers eh ?

Why be less safe on the highway ? Why not fit this on a road car ? We normally fit the hardboard panel in front of it, and nobody knows that at last...you do have peace of mind, having done as much as you can to prevent tragedy happening to your family. ( oh...the cost in the UK is about £60 ish and about 2 hours fitting work.

Mick Richards

Edited by Motorsport Mickey

Thanks for your reply Mark. I drive my car around the state of New York, where pretty much every single other vehicle is 4 times the size of the TR. It can feel intimidating. Ive been driving cars and bikes long enough to know I'm vulnerable.

So, the bar in my second listing is literally a cosmetic item? Without a diagonal I can appreciate how it will parallelogram with a corner force. But are we saying there is no point in spending $600+ on a bit of 2" tube the wrong shape?

The Moss bar is not available, and I cant find a similar looking item. Any clues where I can look?

I fully appreciate the effectiveness of a proper roll over bar, forgive my glib comment which was directed towards the item sold as 'cosmetic'.

Edited by cappedup

Another source is Revingtons: http://www.revingtontr.com/accessories/safety-roll-over-bars-full-cages

Or this (looks like the Moss one): http://www.bossfrog.biz/British_Rollbars.html

Or Rimmers: https://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-LR094096

But anyone who makes them could make you a bespoke one (don't forget the diagonal!), such as http://www.ppcages.com/ but these are all this side of t'Pond.

The USA is so impressed with the safety benefits of roll-over bars (now known as Roll Over Protection Systems - ROPS), for agricultural tractors, that many states offer a 70% rebate on purchase!

I don't suppose you could persuade them that your TR6 is a tractor, but the ROPS Rebate organisation might point you to a maker in New York state? https://www.ropsr4u.com/

Good luck!

John

Edited by john.r.davies

Hi Chris,

I have one of the Revington fixed-diagonal versions (LHD - fitted to a TR4) that I had shipped to Canada no problem. It does take up a fair amount of luggage space behind the seats, or at least makes packing more awkward, but that's the trade-off and I like the safety!

If you'd like photos of any aspect, send me a message and I'll email to you.

Cheers,

Tim

Chris,

Give Kai Radicke at Wishbone Classics a ring - he's in your broad area and has worked on many TR6s and owns them.

You really don't want the cost of shipping from UK-they dont come apart for transit ! And they are not merely bent/welded mild steel - more HT material...engineers on here will know the steel spec.

The firewall is highly recommended too. And I have a padlock to keep the filler cap shut in a tail end shunt....hopefully.

Peter

You seem confused..."somewhat a peace of mind item" .

Roll over bars have been proven life savers many times in the UK and worldwide in competition, and if you think you don't compete ...forget it. Every time you make a road manoeuvre or take a fast curve a correctly fitted roll over bar with a cross car angled brace ( unlike the bar shown in your second listing, the Moss one is fine) will be covering you and your occupants back. Have no doubt an excursion into soft ground side wards even at a lowly 10-15 mph is enough to roll the car, we've seen it happen a number of times with the occupants saved by the roll over bar. Your windscreen and if an alloy backlight with Surrey top is fitted will be flat to the door sides but your life will be saved or severe injury prevented. Even more likely a sideways impact into the cockpit area by a badly driven car or SUV which will normally lozenge the shell and rupture the fuel tank is also resisted and helps prevent death and injury to you.

Whilst you are thinking about safety fit an alloy rear firewall screen behind the rear of cockpit "comedy" hardboard panel. Again if you wanted to compete the Motorsport association wouldn't let you without this fitted (what do they know huh ?). They think if you rivet a 2mm alloy panel ( every 25mm) onto a bed of intumescent sealer (swells up with heat and fire) around the rear of the cockpit onto the frame in front of the fuel tank it will prevent fuel flooding into the cockpit and then maybe igniting and toasting you and yours...real jokers eh ?

Why be less safe on the highway ? Why not fit this on a road car ? We normally fit the hardboard panel in front of it, and nobody knows that at last...you do have peace of mind, having done as much as you can to prevent tragedy happening to your family. ( oh...the cost in the UK is about £60 ish and about 2 hours fitting work.

Mick Richards

Hi Mick,

Well said,+1

Bruce

Looks like Boss Frog might be the manufacturer of the Moss bar that is N/A

Yes, Ive emailed them direct, see what they say. Thats my leading contender so far. It looks like it might be a touch tight for a 6"1' fella. The way the upright seems to slant across. I'm hoping for more photos from them. Difficult to tell how far forward it comes.

Will update here.

Thanks for the help guys. Appreciate it.

edit, found some more photos searching around the web. Looks like it could be perfect.

Edited by cappedup

Hi,

here's a bar from Safety Devices, where the front points are fixed to the floor, right behind the wheel arch, instead to the deck.

This design should be strurdier, than 4 points to the deck.

The negative side is, the seat may not slide against the wheel arch.

(They have also got a dealer in New Jersey...)

Has anybody experience with this roll over bar from Safety Devices?

Patrick

http://www.safetydevices.com/motorsport/products/roll-cage/Triumph+TR6+-1969-1976-2-door/23/881/

The roll-over bar for my TR3 purchased from Revington comes from Safety Devices, but it only is attached to the body, in fact to the inner wheelarches,

The round shape of the arch makes it probably the strongest part of the body.

For me the purpose is to not end up upside down with the body flat on the ground, but no racing involved.

Very practical to push the car around in the garage.... :)

Anyone know if there's a firm that does an off the shelf rollover bar for a 5 with a Surrey backlight? Looking online it looks like the Revington one comes as part of a backlight replacement, unless I've got that wrong. I'd rather find one that fits under the backlight that I have if possible.

Cheers, Darren

Its a good idea especially for taller drivers to ensure there's enough room to fit padding to the roll bar behind their head. Without padding the skull can get a severe whack from a very solid steel tube. Guess which comes off worst...

The other consideration with a tight fit between head and roll bar is wearing a helmet for track days etc. That loses another inch or two of clearance.

Peter

Edited by Peter Cobbold

It's worth mentioning that the padding needs to be the correct padding. Any old pipe insulation is no help at all and the racing roll bar padding is stiff enough to cause some real damage to an unprotected skull as it is designed to be used with a helmet.

The best option for the road is cage padding which is a slightly softer option designed for protecting flailing body parts from full roll cages.

Safety Devices supply a suitable product.

Anyone know if there's a firm that does an off the shelf rollover bar for a 5 with a Surrey backlight? Looking online it looks like the Revington one comes as part of a backlight replacement, unless I've got that wrong. I'd rather find one that fits under the backlight that I have if possible.

Cheers, Darren

Daren,

Based on research of a few years ago (but not followed up on) I'm sure that the Revington RoB designed for a Surrey will fit a real one, not just their GRP one. It is certainly sold separately.

Daren,

Based on research of a few years ago (but not followed up on) I'm sure that the Revington RoB designed for a Surrey will fit a real one, not just their GRP one. It is certainly sold separately.

Thanks Chris. I wondered if it would, but it was a little unclear to me from their website. I've emailed to ask.

Cheers, Darren

Daren,

Only if you are willing to forgo the headling as it is designed to fit up against the underside and has the ability to bolt the roof down through both the backlight and the roof.It is also designed to go through the back panel too.

Stuart.