Path to purism?

Morning

So a general discussion but important to me.

I saw my low tension wire off the coil was brittle so made a new one myself. Then I saw this

https://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-125957

So as I go down this journey of slow restoration, what would you guys do? Make or buy? I don't have a bottomless bank but I do want authenticity - but maybe up to a point.

Just curious..

Rich

Rich,

If you open a packet and fit then you are not learning new skills and your "journey" is not as beneficial to you. To borrow IT terminology, it's just cut and paste engineering .

But it is easier and quicker, just less rewarding.

Alan

Morning

So a general discussion but important to me.

I saw my low tension wire off the coil was brittle so made a new one myself. Then I saw this

https://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-125957

So as I go down this journey of slow restoration, what would you guys do? Make or buy? I don't have a bottomless bank but I do want authenticity - but maybe up to a point.

Just curious..

Rich

Make

It's simple and quick

Probably doesn't save any money, but, the satisfaction of doing it and knowing how to for next time

Make, definitely, for the reasons already stated.

Avoid the pre-insulated connectors sold by some large chain accessory shops and use properly crimped non-insulated terminals with plastic insulated sleeves. To get started, a kit like this is ideal:

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/product.php/347/non-insulated-terminal-kit-british-type

With practice, the simple crimping tool in this kit will produce high standard, secure crimps. Once you've replaced the ignition wire, you're bound to find other electrical jobs where the kit and your new-found skill will be useful. If you need to make a lot of crimps, a more sophisticated (and expensive) ratchet crimping tool could be a worthwhile investment.

Nigel

Hi Nigel and others

I am using more modern crimps with a bit of heat-shrink but maybe those clear insulators are also a good purchase.

I think also I am worried (call me weak..) of the day I go to a TR show, pop the hood and see grimaces on the faces of those looking I . . . oh . . shallow shallow...

Do whatever you want with your TR, as long as it keeps you safe on the road, or off it. But do it fast. Fossil fulled cars may well be banned from polluted cities rather soon, conceivably within a decade. Then petrol may be NLA sooner than we think.

Peter

Hi Peter

Yes, mixed emotions on removal of fossil fuels - especially as I work in renewables! So buying the TR is a ethical challenge for me, but my plan is of course its a bit of weekend fun and not my commuter car.

totally another topic, but one I am knowing a bit about is how a game change batter cars will be, answer to so many energy distribution problems.

NB . . I work in Hamburg often and cars like ours (with high fuel and poor emission control) are banned, less for 'old timers' as they are called so oddly enough I can drive mine but a 10-15 year old gas guzzler is not allowed !

Edited by AarhusTr6