.....a little video from the 10CR

Now you must realise that this is my very first attempt at video editing and adding a sound track ............so don't expect too much! It's too long; the music is a matter of taste; and it's not very interesting!

Having said all that I'd welcome comments! <_<

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AvtGXqtaq4RggjTzbTS_5UUo4XFE

I need to work on the story and shorten it I think!

Great film. Thanks for putting it together and sharing.

Gives a real feel for doing the mountain passes in the 3.

I done a few on motorbikes in the past.

What editing system did you use ?

Great film. Thanks for putting it together and sharing.

Gives a real feel for doing the mountain passes in the 3.

I done a few on motorbikes in the past.

What editing system did you use ?

It was shot on a GoPro Hero 4 and I used GoPro Studio to edit it [i haven't done much else today....... -_- ].

Alpine Pass storming was great fun when there was no traffic. The masochistic cyclists I could cope with but the couples out for a Sunday afternoon drive.............................. :angry:. The car pulled like a train; there was a bit of tyre squeal on the hairpins which unfortunately, along with the engine noise, wasn't captured - hence the need for a sound track! ;):P

OK so there were no negative comments (yet!!) .............I'm on a roll and so here is another (shorter one) of the top of the Dolomites on the Sella Pass.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AvtGXqtaq4RggjUuY9No_mNPU5Rn

It was a beautiful day to celebrate my birthday! :) (and our 25th Wedding Anniversary!)

Great films Ben, (nice glove Vicky) I would have like to hear a bit more of Geoffrey's exhaust note though.

Love Dire straits by the way.

Well done, Watching that (those) made me very jealous.

Bob.

Great films Ben, thanks for posting. You can't go wrong with wonderful scenery like that :o

I'm a Dire Straits fan too and I've also used Telegraph Road in some of my driving videos. Like you, I use the GoPro Hero 4. I've been experimenting for a while now and learnt a few things along the way. When I started out I used the GoPro Studio editing software, but didn't get on with it. After reading some reviews, I bought Wondershare Filmora for about £50 for a lifetime licence and I've been pleased with it. No doubt there are other options out there that are less expensive, but I wouldn't change it now.

In terms of feedback, you might want to think about other places to position the camera, simply because when it is close the the windscreen you get a reflection (plus dirt on the screen) that can be distracting. It's not that bad on your film, but I did one back in the summer, looking backwards through the rear screen and I got a lot of reflection that ruined it. Also, for driving films, if I'm shooting through the windscreen, I try to angle the camera down to get more of the bonnet in and less sky. However, with the mountain scenery in your film, you may have got the position just right. You can also play about with the narrow, medium and wide angle settings.

As much as I like Dire Straits and to have music in films occasionally, it would have been good to hear the car. However, it's no easy matter to do that well. My best result in that respect came from running a muffled mic back to the rear of the car and attaching it to the bumper, but even then at speed the wind noise spoiled it. Also, it's worth remembering that if you upload to Youtube for instance, films containing music often cannot be viewed on mobile devices I've found.

I agree with you that the first film would benefit from being a bit shorter. I'm the worst offender in that respect, because I often upload films of over 15 minutes. But then, the films I shoot tend to be for my own pleasure, rather than trying to please an audience, so if you like the result then that's what matters. One thing you can do to make a film more interesting is break it up a bit with cuts here and there, with transitions from one bit of action to the next. For instance, in the second film, I might have cut the action from 2.06 to about 2.30 (where you have cars parked on either side of the road).

I look forward to seeing more.

Cheers, Darren

Hi Ben,

here are a few tips - don;t ignore them; I'm something of an expert in this field.

Take a recording of a big Ford Mustang V8 and stick that on the sound track. Better than our weedy 4 pots.

Get yourself a drone and have it hovering over and rearwards of the car at apprx 30Mtrs - this will give a good visual effect of you siding around the Hairy pins.

Another idea I had for the sound track was a simple ditty that starts 'I know a song that wil......'

Failing that Laurel and Hardy's 'Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia; is nice and catchy - not often used.

Or you could point the camera backwards, put your foot to the floor and capture the expression on Vicky's face :o:o Oh what fun. :wacko:

Apart from that you did well.

Roger

Thank you Darren and Roger for your invaluable tips! :);)

I really should have filmed V's face when I was testing the speedometer reading vs GPS on the unrestricted German autobahn. Particularly her relief when I decided at 171 km/h not to adjust the seat position so that I could push the throttle right down to the floor!

I have much to learn re positioning the GoPro. I have mounted it on the roll bar before (wind noise is hideous and the view less good). Ideally I would like to mount it on the outside of the car e.g. drivers side door or scuttle but I'm afraid of it falling off even with the ginormous sucker supplied with the GoPro mounting kit.........

Because the GoPro is in a waterproof case it is difficult to imagine quite how to record engine noise/tyre squeal without recourse to a separate recording device and the subsequent synchronisation issues.

I've got the surrey rear window on mine, which makes a good spot for mounting the GoPro, looking forwards or backwards (although not so good backwards if the sun is bright, due to reflections on the glass). I also mount on the dash (forwards and backwards), and top of windscreen (forwards - but again reflections can be a problem here).

I've not tried mounting the camera on the outside of the car yet, because of the same concerns that you mention, but if I do try it I'll definitely secure the camera in some other way than just the sucker. I'd maybe put a cable tie around the GoPro's case, with a bit of string through it and attach that to the inner door handle. If you think of a better way, let me know.

Wind noise at speed is the biggest problem I find. A muffled external microphone is the biggest help. To fit one of these, you just have to get yourself a case that allows access. Photo one shows the case with access point and photo two shows the muffled mic I use.

post-12866-0-15357900-1505814000_thumb.jpg

post-12866-0-06790800-1505814036_thumb.jpg

I've also got some good audio results in the car when I've had the hood up.

Cheers, Darren

Edited by TR5tar

Hi Ben,

The Umbrail pass is one of my favorites to enter to the Stelvio.

Is the road surface at the top still gravel?

Marcel

ps. the gopro ginormous sucker works perfect, if the mounting place is clean.

try different positions and watch the results so you know what's on.

Edited by Quicksilver

Hi Ben,

The Umbrail pass is one of my favourite to enter to the Stelvio.

Is the road surface at the top top still gravel?

Marcel

I quite agree Marcel

but there is no gravel left - all tarmac and the Stelvio has lost it's charm since we last climbed it 25 years ago! It is now a tourist attraction and car park. Before there was a building and a patch of rough gravel with a height sign! The road on the way down is now walled in (presumably to stop bikers launching themselves off into space) which restricts visibility badly so you have to drive without spirit!!

Ben

Hi Ben

Good films. Keep them coming.

I have a cheap camera that I used on the sprints etc. Mine isn't wide angled enough tho. And I don't have editing software. ????

One thing at a time. ????

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrXjQt8CiQNaGDrjhmPLqMA

I like your bonnet hinge blocks are they permanent? Are they your design etc

H

Edited by Hamish

Hi Ben

Good films. Keep them coming.

I have a cheap camera that I used on the sprints etc. Mine isn't wide angled enough tho. And I don't have editing software. ????

One thing at a time. ????

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrXjQt8CiQNaGDrjhmPLqMA

I like your bonnet hinge blocks are they permanent? Are they your design etc

H

Well Hamish at least you can hear the engine! Which is why I had to lay a soundtrack on mine! I don't know that you want a wider angle for what you are doing.

The aluminium blocks were installed by the PO. His last mod before he sold the car. You can certainly feel hot air escaping......I have since installed an in-line blower fan on the apron flange to huff cooler air at the carbs. This may negate the benefit of the blocks. However I am not going to remove them as they are part of the car's character ????.

PS I hope Ben's wife isn't reading this but seeing your videos is making me feel that Geoffrey would love hill climbing.....????

Well you'd both be more than welcome.

I was this year as a new car owner and rookie in the events.

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/motorsport-downloads

There are some car tech rule change proposals being considered. So check them out for next year when it's all settled and announced.

The MSA. Licence is very straight forward for the speed events like ours.

I need to do a track day or 2 as you don't get much track time on our events.

Whilst competitive everyone is really nice and willing to share info. May be because they know I pose no risk to them ????

There are some awesome cars taking part beautifully set up and fast in the hands of their very proficient drivers. And there is my car and me. ????

H

Very jealous Ben, great videos and sound tracks.

Geoffrey must be on form, 171kph, how much more throttle to go?? :rolleyes:

Which were the 10 countries?

It's been a frustrating summer with OGB hors de combat but very close to being back on the road, just in time for winter! I'm aiming to get to the club night on Tuesday, will have to show the videos to Dawn to re-inspire

Phil

Equally jealous, Ben. Well done.

In the second film, did none of the Mercedes drivers in the invasion convoy (3.08 to 3.40) give you a cheery wave? Miserable buggers...

Paul

Exactly our comment at the time Paul; we waved and tooted but they resolutely gripped their steering wheels and pretended we weren't there! (and took up more than their fair share of the road!)

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AvtGXqtaq4RggjUuY9No_mNPU5Rn

It was a beautiful day to celebrate my birthday! :) (and our 25th Wedding Anniversary!)

Well Ben and Vicky it was where you spent your honeymoon after all, so great to hear that you returned.

How do i know ?????

well i did organise for you. Along with over 50 other ALPINE TOURERS in 92

congrats ROY

Great to hear from you Roy! Expect a PM shortly! Our honeymoon '92 Alpine Tour trip has been with us for 25 years and was the inspiration to buy another TR and do it again! It was much more fun in a sidescreen ;) and not only because this time we got to the top of the Stelvio without a push!!

Your inspiration 25 years ago was the reason for us having so much fun this year!

Thank you!