215/70R15 ........!

Ha,

So after a couple of hours reading old posts about tyres, I have the most insane set up possible.

6.5" rims and 215/70 fitted.

I'm actually glad, because I thought I was just going to have to get used to the ridiculous steering weight, and thought the rubbish cornering must have just been a '70's TR thing'.

I don't see a single other poster that has this. One guy on a US board was considering it a few years ago, but didn't do it......

I'm considering just sticking with common old 195/65, knowing there will be loads to choose from.

And having 6'5" rims, i cant really go putting 165mm (6.5") rubber on there.

Were 6.5" rims common in the US, or do I have something odd?

Chris.

Edited by cappedup

Chris, 6.5" weren't standard issue, nor a factory option as far as I know. I had 205s on 5.5" and they were squidgy under hard cornering but terrific under hard braking. On 195s now. Peter

My Dad tells me that a very good friend of my his, used to have these tyres (probably Dunlop SP sport) on 6.5" or 7" J.A. Pierce alloy wheels, on his TR6 in the early-mid '70s; Apparently, 'til He & Dad fitted uprated rear springs & telescopic dampers, the tyres would scuff on the rear wheel arches. I bet it looked good though! (Sadly we have no photos :( )

All the best, Paul.

Edited by TR Paul

Chris, 6.5" weren't standard issue, nor a factory option as far as I know. I had 205s on 5.5" and they were squidgy under hard cornering but terrific under hard braking. On 195s now. Peter

Oops, looks like I made a mistake, I measured my rims from outside to outside, not just inside the rim. If I subtract the probable 1/4" for each side, they will be 6".

ive got semi slick tyres - 205/50/15 on front & 225/50/15 on rear of my TR4

they work well, although a little small on overall diameter on rear make gearing a bit shorter

Graze

Mine's set up to run on 205/60/15's. Handles like it's on rails but parking is a real chore. Also needed to fit Revington's steering spacers to stop scoring on the brake disks.

Mike,

"Handles like it's on rails". NOTHING handles like it's on rails when you drive it hard enough.

Mick Richards

Anything wider than 185 isn't going to contact the pavement across the tread at normal pressure ( 24 psi+ ). I had 195/65 Michelin Pilots on mine and with 25/27 psi in them 1/2" on either side was aloft.

Since you have the 3.7:1 differential your best bet for the money is the Vredestein 185-15 . For those who don't mind the fare the absolute best in the original size is the Michelin 185-15 XVS - nothing else comes anywhere near.

Tom

Anything wider than 185 isn't going to contact the pavement across the tread at normal pressure ( 24 psi+ ). I had 195/65 Michelin Pilots on mine and with 25/27 psi in them 1/2" on either side was aloft.

Since you have the 3.7:1 differential your best bet for the money is the Vredestein 185-15 . For those who don't mind the fare the absolute best in the original size is the Michelin 185-15 XVS - nothing else comes anywhere near.

Tom

Tom, Some of us drive on roads with bends :D , when the increased downforce on the tyre flattens the tread on the loaded tyres. Peter

Any TR6 tyre fitment beginning with a 2 has already abandoned any pretensions towards 'handling' . . . . it's a misuse of the term by definition.

Also a waste of effort, time and money but that's another story.

As for pressures, I'd suggest Tom is quite correct in terms of pressure and Pilots - which is not to suggest that his comment applies to all brands of tyre, far from it, nothing unusual to find a significant variation in optimum pressure between different tyre specs of nominally similar size.

Cheers

Alec

ive just 4 new tyres on mine

as I'm new to this I called Revington TR to see what they fit

the Guy who works there told me they fit 195/65/15 and I think they said they fit Hankooks

I found the Hankooks expensive and as my project is in the early stages I didn't want to over commit in case other problems crop up

I choose avons in the same size Revington use 195/65/15 think they cost me £161 for 4 from black circles

I run 195s.. They seem to be quite hard to "unstick" from the road, even in the wet. Steering is a tad heavy compared to my uncle's TR4 which I think runs 165s.

Cheers

Tim

attachicon.gifuntitled.png

Who remembers this advert?!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqqZ28m8uCo

Pops up quite a lot here. Do a forum search for "Carlos Fandango" :D

ive just 4 new tyres on mine

as I'm new to this I called Revington TR to see what they fit

the Guy who works there told me they fit 195/65/15 and I think they said they fit Hankooks

I found the Hankooks expensive and as my project is in the early stages I didn't want to over commit in case other problems crop up

I choose avons in the same size Revington use 195/65/15 think they cost me £161 for 4 from black circles

I've just got rid of my ancient Vedrestein Classic Sprints and replaced them with the Avon ZV7 195/65/15 tyres from Black Circles which cost £192 fully fitted - absolute bargain for an A rated tyre.

Probably because the other 185 tyres were so old but they're noticeably much better, with lighter steering than the old ones which surprised me.

I couldn't justify paying out a fortune for new Michelins or even Classic Sprints just for originality.

Edited by DRD

So after a couple of hours reading old posts about tyres, I have the most insane set up possible.

6.5" rims and 215/70 fitted.

I don't see a single other poster that has this.

You need to look up a member on here called '88V' He had them on Shelby rims.

Outnabout.jpg