Replacement for Captive Nuts

Has anybody out there found a good fonctionnal replacement for the traditionnal captive nut ?

When replacing the floors on my 3A in the late seventies I never fitted the captive nuts that hold the tunnel in place. I was more agile in those days and it didin't seem to matter.

Now that I have got my gear box out and nearly ready to go back in I'm beginning to think ahead.

I don't have access to a spot welder and then if I did, I don't particularly want to do any repainting of the bits that inevitably get burned.

James

Hi James,

many of the captives nuts are still with us. Which ones were you concerned with.

The door pull handle on the TR4/4A has gone - I use an M4 rivnut with a 1/4 backing washer and then tapped to 8/32UNC.

I'm sure rivnuts could be used in other places. Ali up to M8 is relatively easy to pull down - but they do not float about so need to be accurately sited.

Roger