Hi Dougal, Thinks' for the info, I shall forward to the link to the Triumph Club de France

Regards

Hi Kiwifrog

Our local electrical shop now sells the self breathalizer kit ( with batteries, not crystals). I understand that it may not yet be law in France to carry a kit, but am advised that if the police stop you they do ask for it, and if you haven't got one the fine is €200.00.

Is this in fact true? and is it law yet? We are off to Pontarlier for a week's holiday in 10 days time and then onto Morges for the Swiss Classic British Car meeting on 7th October, so i bought one while stocks lasted just to be on the safe side.

Dave

I've never been asked if I have a breathalyser kit on board in 38 years here. Believe me, I've been stopped a few times this year and before for various routine checks.

I get a bit pi**ed off about these stories usually touted by various scurrilous English language rags. France must be a dreadful place to live in.........

James

I'm Dutch.

Our leading organization for this (ANWB), comparablevto your RAC indicates that for driving in France it is mandatory to carry with you:

1) Reflecting safety triangle (do not know correct English word).

2) Reflecting vest for driver (but recommended also for passengers).

3) Breath analyser, but you will not be fined if you do not have it with you.

Regards,

Waldi

Waldi,

Everyone in the car MUST have a HiViz vest,and they must be carried in the car, not in the boot.

Also, spare light bulbs, a National ('NL'or 'GB') sticker and for UK cars headlamp prisms.

See; http://www.drive-france.com/checklist/

Which assures us that the lack of a breathalyser does not mean a fine.

John

Edited by john.r.davies

Hi Kiwifrog

Our local electrical shop now sells the self breathalizer kit ( with batteries, not crystals). I understand that it may not yet be law in France to carry a kit, but am advised that if the police stop you they do ask for it, and if you haven't got one the fine is €200.00.

Is this in fact true? and is it law yet? We are off to Pontarlier for a week's holiday in 10 days time and then onto Morges for the Swiss Classic British Car meeting on 7th October, so i bought one while stocks lasted just to be on the safe side.

Dave

Hi Dave

It's a daft law, at one point under Sarkozy they passed a law that you needed to carry a breathalyzer and would be fined if you did not produce one on demand, under Hollande they changed the law so that you need to carry a breathalyzer but there is no fine or punishment if you don't have one I don't have one in my everyday car or work van and although I have been stopped a number of times have never even been asked if I have one, or a reflective jacket or triangle (I do carry the last 2).

Cheers

Alan

I've never been asked if I have a breathalyser kit on board in 38 years here. Believe me, I've been stopped a few times this year and before for various routine checks.

I get a bit pi**ed off about these stories usually touted by various scurrilous English language rags. France must be a dreadful place to live in.........

James

Agree completely with you James, let's keep it a secret that France is really a pretty good place to be otherwise we will be flooded by tourists. :D Edited by Kiwifrog

Hi Alan, it was good to meet you at Beaulieu Autojumble, I hope you avoided the Sunday rain.

I find France a delight to be in , whether it's Skiing in the Alps, watching Rugby or just simply Touring in the Classic Car, I don't think there will be an influx of Tourists after reading this !!

All the best,

Conrad.

Hi John,

Re. the reflecting vests: interesting there appears to be differing information. I think it is prudent to take one for each passenger too, and not in the bottom of a packed boot (trunk) since our cars end stranded besided the road more often than modern cars (I will hide now).

Re. the breath analizer fine Y/N: there is no assurance I guess.

Regards,

Waldi

Waldi,

Everyone in the car MUST have a HiViz vest,and they must be carried in the car, not in the boot.

Also, spare light bulbs, a National ('NL'or 'GB') sticker and for UK cars headlamp prisms.

See; http://www.drive-france.com/checklist/

Which assures us that the lack of a breathalyser does not mean a fine.

John

Alan

I only go to France when I must! in order to get to Switzerland and Italy etc.

Although I carry Spanish plates, they ( the cops) still do not like it if you answer them in English and if you are O.K. with what they ask you for, they start looking for other infringements so that they can DO you. It must be hell with a G.B. plate when they are on the warpath (and they usually are).

I got done last time I was in the Peugeot ( French car/Spanish plates) for doing 95km/hr in a 90km/h zone in the town of Nimes on the south coast.

Dave

Dave et al,

In Holland you may be fined for going 2 or 3 km/h more than allowed.

I think we "outperform" every other country with the number of speed camera's (also for average speed over a certain distance), if you would drive 5km/hr faster than allowed, it is a fine, 100% sure.

The fines are relatively high too.

They are not announced.

I'm not proud of it but you are warned.

Regards,

Waldi

Tom,

Well, they still do and provide a steady source of income for our government.

It is a nasty surprise for foreigners.

I was fined some 5 years ago in Germany for speeding, the fine was very reasonable.

Not in Holland, we have rediculous rates.

Speeding with 35 km/hr: some 275 euro's, and in case of road construction: 360 euro.

The latter seams reasonable, if the workers would be present.

Cheers,

Waldi

Hi Alan, it was good to meet you at Beaulieu Autojumble, I hope you avoided the Sunday rain.

I find France a delight to be in , whether it's Skiing in the Alps, watching Rugby or just simply Touring in the Classic Car, I don't think there will be an influx of Tourists after reading this !!

All the best,

Conrad.

Hi Conrad

It was great to say hello, we missed the worst of the rain but the herald had a sulk on the m25 on the way home. Ask Chris about it next time you see him, it is quite funny looking back with hindsight but was a little stressful at the time

Cheers

Alan