I have been trying to sort out this issue for ever and getting no where fast! So I'm appealing for help. I have tried to find a discussion forum about this but cant.. so here goes.

I am the owner of a late model UK CR TR6, which has standard fuel injection and a fast road cam. It has the twin tail pipe sports exhaust. The problem is that the boot is constantly smells of petrol. Its so bad that you cant really put bags in the boot.

I have replaced many of the pipes around the Bosch fuel injection pump, fitted proper petrol pipes and petrol clips and the seals in the tap in the bottom of the fuel tank.

So I'm wondering what I should do next, I thought it could be replace the exhaust to a Phoenix Big Bore exhaust system which will over come the exhaust fumes into the cockpit etc. or alternatives change the fuel tank. or both...

Thought comments would be greatly appreciated.

Am I missing something?

After replacing pipe work with the new Gates hoses I found that my fuel pump to filter connector was two banjo's connected with a hard plastic line which dripped very slightly when the pump was running and pressurised.

This joiner pipe came with the pump / filter assembly about 3" long(?). The banjo's were cast brass and had a rough surface which did not seal well against the hard plastic pipe.

I went to a local hose supplier who made me a short HP fuel hose which screwed directly into both the filter and the pump for £7.50. No problem since.

Alan

I have the same problem for years, in fact since leaded petrol was discarded. At the occasion of the recent Euromeet in France I had wrapped my travel trolly in a plastic bag. Absolutely no smell after a 700km drive.

The lady of the house of cause used the shelf behind the seats.... :wacko:

There is 'ordinary' rubber hose that will resist fuel vapour getting through, but it must be "R9" spec.

OR, go for PTFE tubing, protected by stainless steel braid.

OR, use an alloy tubing, such as Good ridge Hard-line.

Both the last require special, dedicated connectors.

Either will completely prevent fuel smell.

John

Puff talcum powder around the tank. Fill it up and go for a run. I did this and found my fuel gauge sender gasket showed tell tale signs of leaking by way if a track though the talc. Also did the same for an aluminium tank and discovered stress cracks to the top third of the tank.

Puff talcum powder around the tank. Fill it up and go for a run. I did this and found my fuel gauge sender gasket showed tell tale signs of leaking by way if a track though the talc. Also did the same for an aluminium tank and discovered stress cracks to the top third of the tank.

Good idea probably good for joints too.

Use custard powder if other is needed for babies bottom?

Edited by Rem18

I have been trying to sort out this issue for ever and getting no where fast! So I'm appealing for help. I have tried to find a discussion forum about this but cant.. so here goes.

I am the owner of a late model UK CR TR6, which has standard fuel injection and a fast road cam. It has the twin tail pipe sports exhaust. The problem is that the boot is constantly smells of petrol. Its so bad that you cant really put bags in the boot.

I have replaced many of the pipes around the Bosch fuel injection pump, fitted proper petrol pipes and petrol clips and the seals in the tap in the bottom of the fuel tank.

So I'm wondering what I should do next, I thought it could be replace the exhaust to a Phoenix Big Bore exhaust system which will over come the exhaust fumes into the cockpit etc. or alternatives change the fuel tank. or both...

Thought comments would be greatly appreciated.

Am I missing something?

Can we see photos of your installation? What sort of end fittings are you using? They must be the barb type for rubber!

Bruce

I had a scimilar problem a couple of years ago with my alloy tank. Strong smell when tank full which gradually reduced as more fuel used. After usual connections checked etc, removed tank to discover that one of the baffles inside the tank had come adrift at the top weld causing a small whole to appear. Hence the cause of strong smell reducing as fuel used. Remove tank and check all around for cracks etc as this was only visable when removed.

Paul

I think you will find all PI sixes run a bit on the rich side to start with....then you have the boot design that generates vorticies that drags the unburnt fuel back to the car so if your seals are poor in they go

Thats why your rear valance is painted black

And to top it off you have a sports exhaust that most probably doesnt exit the car far enough

Thats why the triumph engineers took it to the side

All in all not a good design....you need to buy a 3????

Hi

I have had the same problem for years so agree with tony you will also note that you will get residue around the boot lid and gutter seal if you clean this off you will surprised as to the amount of exhaust residue you get around boot seal clean this off and the cloth you use will be black

bluebob

• 9 months later...

Finally think I may have bottomed this one out.

Firstly I have changed the exhaust system to a Phoenix single pipe sports, from the old “Wheel barrow” type double pipe system which are more central. This appears to have stopped my clothes smelling like an exhaust pipe. The new exhaust system sounds a lot better whilst quieter it is a much better sound.

Secondly, I have also changed many of pipes to from the fuel pump, both top of bottom of the tanks. Fuel smell in boot much better.

Finally. I have also filled the hole in the oil filler cap.

Thank you to the rather brilliant Enginuity in West London. Highly recommended.

Hope fully the car will be much better to drive. Now I do some driving.

Hi recommend you read my posting from a couple of months ago. Yes I replaced all hoses around the tank, the filler tube was awful. However the prime culprit was the sender unit joint/gasket which had broken down badly. When I inverted the tank to empty the last of the fuel, most of it came out of the joint!! As I had the tank out if the car, I also fitted a fire wall behind it in aluminium. All details in my thread.

A few years ago I had my sports exhaust tail pipes modified to an S arrangement where the discharge is parallel to the ground. Not perfect but better. I can still smell the exhaust under hard acceleration, guess that the TR6!

Best Regards Trevor