TR7 track car platform?

This has just popped up on a clearance auction house website. I have been noodling the idea of a Triumph track car for a couple of years. Any thoughts as to whether this looks like a good basis for a track car? I am possibly going up to see it on Tuesday if I can get away from the orifice. I am also liaising with the red baron team on this. Thoughts gratefully received...

https://vavato.com/en/?utm_source=Website+contacts&utm_campaign=10b809ca8a-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2017_09_12&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_b079693c05-10b809ca8a-67523869#!/auctions/59a7b0d878879/lots/19

That looks very tidy indeed, and unusually solid as much as one can see . . . . .

Good basis for a track car I'd have said, and I wouldn't hesitate to bid for it - TR7s are grossly undervalued, coupes especially, and it is very difficult to find a really good solid roof (as opposed to sunroof) car.

Subject to a quick check of the underside, looking particularly where the front bulkhead meets the floor, and similarly meeting of base of rear bulkhead to floor and adjacent sill and suspension mounting points, underbonnet rot spots look clear enough.

Value ? In an ideal world you'd start a track project with a good rot-free stripped shell for notalot, but hardly any remain, except in the USA . . . . and even that usually means shipping over a car. So you have to buy a jolly fine car in Europe to strip and start from scratch. I wouldn't hesitate to pay £5K if I really wanted a proper project.

Cheers

Alec

As far I know the race car of Marcus Weidenbach (TR7V8) is available for sale.

It is a proper race car with all the goodies as an excellent basis

Maybe Red Baron can locate it for you?

post-3129-0-97943700-1505214934_thumb.jpg

Edited by MadMarx

" Also think it may be underpowered "

The production TR7 offered around 105bhp on a good day, although its cornering ability was rather better than many owners of older TRs seem to think, and the braking power left something to be desired if pressing on . . . . .

Power wise, my son Tom has a nifty 2 litre 8 valve in his roadgoing black fhc, built by Peter Lander at Sigma and running twin SUs, which is pushing out more like 150 than 105 - quick enough to deal with the average cooking 3.5l V8 anyway !

A 16 valve Sprint engine can be taken on Webers past the 200 mark, although they can get pretty fragile by then . . . .

The V8 can produce hugely more grunt, depending as always on what the regs of a particular series permit . . . .

Cheers

Alec