TR8 Works Rally Car

Hi Alec, The ad is rather vague, but I thought it may be of interest. Full ad reads TriumphTR 8 Work Rally Car 1978. V8 with 325 hp 1000Kg. Only a few cars built. Eligible for all events. It also shows a pic of a works rally car.

Might be worth an e:mail at least.

:D

I must say i am a bit cynical also alec, i am only getting 400 and a bit at the wheels from a full house 4.5l with the latest technology, perhaps the dyno that tested the "exworks car" was out of calibration? Same with the scales that they weighed it with??

Or maybe they are seat of pants HP guestimates, when i first drove a porshce it felt like it had many more horsepower than it actually did.

The whole ex works and genuine "industry" leaves me a bit cold i must say, i have had my car 18 years so i am reasonably confident that it is "genuine" but with all of the spares etc available nowdays you could build a car from scratch if you had the inclination.

Whats other peoples thoughts?

And people DO build them. Which is fine if they are clearly sold as works rally 'replicas'. Not so if they have a works-a-like (e.g. OOM) registration no. and are being sold for top prices as real ex-works cars though....

Malcolm.

One of the big problems with the works rally cars is that although 19 were actually built according to registration figures, quite a few more were actually built to replace ones damaged, written off etc. Sometimes cars are resurrected using an ex works shell or even a complete car and given a more famous reg number. There are quite a few ex works V8s now giving over 300 bhp, some of the power increase is due to the use of modern technology, most forms of historic motor sport rely on constant development as it is so competitive.

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know the REG of this car and it's asking price?

Saw SJW 548S yesterday and the car was very well driven. Very entertaining.

A few more pictures here: http://www.xpower-racing.com/gallery/showg...ry.php/cat/9278

Stone2006_131.jpg

Edited by WildRover