How can I tell how old the tyres are on my TR5?

Here's a question for my learned friends: When I bought my TR in 2014, I switched from Minilites to wires. I've got the Minilites sitting in the corner of the garage with some very nice looking Vredestein Classics on them from 2012. I can see that they haven't been used much, because there is still the little rubber tags on the tread that is found on newish tyres.

Given that these tyres are not being used, are sat in a dry and warm environment, out of direct sunlight, will they still deteriorate? If so, can anyone tell me how long they should be OK for?

Cheers, Darren

Hi Darren,

if they're stored properly, vertical not horizontal and racked rather than sat to flat spot, and in cool dark conditions, they should be fine for 10 years storage without serious degradation.

However, although the carcass is unlikely to give problems, the tread will have inevitably lost some of its roadholding ability - which may or may not be a problem depending on driving style.

I wouldn't wish to be driving them any older than 15 years no matter how they were previously stored !

As mentioned in an earlier post, some varieties of tyre will age much more quickly than others, and it is impossible to generalise accurately - and that's without taking into account the constructional changes which inevitably happens as manufacturing methods evolve.

Cheers

Alec

Hi Darren,

the only way to store tyres on wheels horizontally is if they are separated - as in a pole with appropriate tubes or collars between each wheel/tyre to ensure no weight contact, and yes inflated.

If you leave tyres stacked horizontally they'll deteriorate under their own weight all too quickly, bin job after a year (or less) in my experience, and even inflated wheels on tyres will not last that much longer, if at all, given the extra weight load of the wheels on sidewalls. The usual consequence is that the tyre feels slightly out of round when refitted to the car, followed not too long afterwards by an exploding sidewall.

Sorry to sound gloomy, but I've seen what happens to tyres stack stored horizontally - even though they appeared to be absolutely fine.

Cheers

Alec

Or use them for someone's rolling restoration, our DRN 4D if all else fails !

Or as winter tyres to take the weight of your 5 rather than your good ones ? If you're laying up the car for the winter then they are ideal as a substitute, the short wire studs don't matter if the car isn't being driven on the road . . . . . Lidl or Aldi often seem to offer pukka tyre storage poles as winter approaches, ideal for your wires over winter.

No point in binning what could have an alternative use . . . . .

Cheers

Alec

Hi Guys

Just to update you all, I've got five new Michelin SR15 XZX tyres with inner tubes, rim tape and five sets of five classic valves, (misread when ordering). Longstones were very helpful on the phone and free delivery the following day. Total £615. I checked the DOT code on the tyre wall and they were manufactured week 22 of 2017, so happy bunny.

I did initially contact Black Circle but none of the local garages on their books which they deliver to didn't have the center spindle for the wire wheels! That said Longstones worked out a tad cheaper and now got a local family garage two miles away that will do the tyres.

Re the Insurance company (through the TR Register, APlan) they have asked I notify them of the tyres going on so they can update their records.

Once again, thank you for all your input, especially Alex Pringle, very much appreciated, great forum.

Mike

Edited by MikeThomas

THE place for tyres to go over age is on your trailer.

Unless you are in business with it, minimal mileage, and the tread never wears out, but unless you are as obsessive as some caravan owners and cover the wheels when not in use, they get irradiated by sunlight continuously.

Checked mine recently - ten years old! Looked fine, but binned them for new. Not so easy finding 10" tyres anymore!

A failed car tyre is bad enough - a fauiled trailer tyre can be a disaster!

John

Here's where you get new ones http://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/page/triumph-tr6if your near by please pop in and we can do free fitting and check your tyre age if you like.

We are also doing it in French too https://www.longstonetires.fr/pneu-voiture-collection/triumph/tr6.html

Please try the French web site it has better and easier to compare pictures of the tread patterns

Dougal,

Your products and services might be very good, not having used either I cannot say, but if you are going to promote them to TRR members, you might have the courtesy to join the club and use the appropriate section. Or, instead of spending time, effort and money on those films, a series of full page ads in TRA would be something to consider.

Darren