Wire wheels adaptors etc....

Considering replacing my 5 1/2 J steel wheels and buying some wire wheels, second hand if I can find a good set. I not sure I am keen on chrome wires, so guess my option is to go for painted. Can anyone with experience offer any guidance of what to avoid, ware and tear etc.....

As long as you like looking after a "baby in a high chair" (you always have to be attending to it) spokes are great. The steel wheel cursory wash twice a year (I'm easy going) is replaced with a weekly wash and spoke dry dreading finding a spec of rust which is a LOT more problematical to repair than steel wheels. Never mind the worrying about spoke tensions (that's another paint skin breaker for rusting) which you'll get into.

I'm sure you'll find many people with spokes who'll give them a big thumbs up (we all tend to do that when we've made a choice...whichever way that is) but it's as well to bear all above in mind. Your choice.

Mick Richards

I have had chrome wires for 20 years on the 5 (6 has original wheels).

Nothing like it for people giving you the thumbs up.

Have done many seriously hard mountain passes and never had a problem even when I found a brocken spoke or two.

I only have 60's not 72's

Always did my own repairs and tuning and considered it part of the fun.

Just set a bare wheel up on the car and spin with a pointer. Relaxing winter work and if you have a spare you can do them one at a time and still drive.

Worst part in my mind is finding someone to balance them well.

T

I have owned my TR6 for 44 years, the original owner ordered it with the optional 72 spoke stove enamelled wire wheels from new, back then it cost £60.00. yes Sixty Pounds!. To date those same wheels have travelled 73,000 miles, and I have never had any trouble with them at all!

Interestingly every year I have to tell the MOT person how to 'Ring' around the spokes with his Pen! Dudes are never found!

In 1996 I had them sand blasted and powder coated silver and the still look good today, I had the spare one done stove enamel for originality of the boot view!

I think that Chrome wires are too flashy, and look especially unsuitable on white painted cars (like mine), but are okish on dark blue, damson and BRG cars.

Edited by Denis

Thankyou for the replies. As far as wear.....how much play can there be when the wheel is fitted to the spline ?

Hi Peter,

if the wheels are reasonably old then there could be serious play on the splines.

Usually it is the rear wheels that wear because of the take up when starting.

The fronts suffer less so but still wear as the prime breakers.

You will need new adapters, this will reduce the overall wear effect.

Unless the wheels look good and are really cheap then you may be wasting your money against buying new.

To check the wheel and adapter fit for wear - remove ALL grease and make as clean as possible.

Then fit the wheel and rotate back and forth - there should be the slightest play and that is all.

Roger

P

Thankyou for the replies. As far as wear.....how much play can there be when the wheel is fitted to the spline ?

Peter - none if you dont want clonks

FWIW, get a fixing kit from TR shop which includes all new 4 splined hubs, the right nuts and chrome spinners for about £200 ( I seem to recall it was £188 when I last looked), buy some reasonable /restorable second hand wheels ( get some spares if you can) and take them to Tudor wheels in the New Forest who will check them for wear ( and any old hubs you have) and if they are not too far gone, will refurbish them to your choice of colour/finish for about £60 a wheel - cheapest way by far to get good set of wires

No connection with either of above businesses other than as a customer

Cheers

Rich

I have owned my TR6 for 44 years, the original owner ordered it with the optional 72 spoke stove enamelled wire wheels from new, back then it cost £60.00. yes Sixty Pounds!. To date those same wheels have travelled 73,000 miles, and I have never had any trouble with them at all!

Interestingly every year I have to tell the MOT person how to 'Ring' around the spokes with his Pen! Dudes are never found!

In 1996 I had them sand blasted and powder coated silver and the still look good today, I had the spare one done stove enamel for originality of the boot view!

I think that Chrome wires are too flashy, and look especially unsuitable on white painted cars (like mine), but are okish on dark blue, damson and BRG cars.

Haha Chromes are flash but thank God my TR5 is Valencia Blue then.

Btw I think wires look much better on a 5 than a six.

Seriously wires are a nice touch and not hard to maintain. Chromes are more prone to breaking and showing rust.

In about 100k miles I have changed about 10 spokes all around.

I had a painted spare but bought an extra chrome and swapped out the worst as the spare.

I have consistently driven hard (I live in the alps) and can say the wheels are pretty reliable.

I drive a TR so any clonks are far more likely from elsewhere! ????

Seriously even if you replace a wheel once every 10 years you would still have loads of spare bits.

I couldn't find a person to rebuild here so learnt to DIY .

It really isn't hard.

Mine came with the original steel disc wheels but I did not like the look of them.

Toyed with wire wheels and dear Clive Manvers told me he could supply and fit but I would probably regret it.

Instead I settled on top quality Minilite reproductions, and they do look good and were available in the day.

Tom.

+1 for looks on the right era car.

It is just a shame about all the additional unsprung weight.

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

As long as you like looking after a "baby in a high chair" (you always have to be attending to it) spokes are great. The steel wheel cursory wash twice a year (I'm easy going) is replaced with a weekly wash and spoke dry dreading finding a spec of rust which is a LOT more problematical to repair than steel wheels. Never mind the worrying about spoke tensions (that's another paint skin breaker for rusting) which you'll get into.

I'm sure you'll find many people with spokes who'll give them a big thumbs up (we all tend to do that when we've made a choice...whichever way that is) but it's as well to bear all above in mind. Your choice.

Mick Richards

+1 Mick, also the fact that they did not stay on the options list for the full production run of the TR6 says it all!

Bruce.

wire wheels were an optional extra mine came out the factory with painted 72 spoke wire wheels along with h/top over drive and a locking petrol cap and are all still with the car the steering wheel was also different with holes in the spokes again still have s/wheel hanging up in garage.

bluebob

Like this one 'bluebob' ? Hang onto it they're rare!

post-8693-0-57834800-1504288691_thumb.jpg

Edited by Denis