Top fascia crash pad fixing

I've recently noticed that that the top fascia crash pad is not attached to the top of the wooden fascia. It looks as if the two were glued together originally, but whatever glue was used has dried or cracked allowing the two to separate. Ther is now a distinct gap beteen the two.

Is it correct for the two to be glued together, or are they fixed in some other way?

How should I reattach them?

Cheers

Terry

Hi Terry

The two are separate items, the front dash wooden Fascia is screwd to the rear metal dash behind with screws and the top crack pad is bolted along the fromt and glued at the back where it meets the windscreen.

Nick

Edited by Nickffc

Hi Terry,

the rear edge (the edge nearest you when driving) is just the thin vinyl sheet that covers the top.

This is folded under the metal forward deck that forms the plenum chamber a little further forward.

Pull this tight and glue in place.

The metal dash board is then bolted to the forward deck and traps the top dash pad folded edge in position.

You will notice that the metal dash attachment screws go into cage nuts on the forward deck. The top dash pad may need relieving around the cage nuts to allow it to sit flat.

Roger

My new crashpad came without the flap that Roger mentions, so I glued that side to the metal body below, I used silicone sealant for this. During setting of the sealant I put some weight on top of the pad just above the wooden dashboard to minimize the gap.

Waldi

Hi Roger, It may because of the second 2nd g&t this evening, but I am struggling to get my head round your explanation!

Are you saying that I have to remove the wooden fascia to pull the fascia under the metal plate behind the wooden fascia, and then re-attach the fascia with a bit of glue added?

Maybe time for a 3rd one!

Terry

Hi Terry,

read this tomorrow :P

The wooden dash is attached to the metal dash with the countersink chrome screws. Remove the screws and remove the wooden dash.

You can now see the metal dash.

This has screws going upwards into the scuttle panel below the padded dash pad.

If you remove these screws the metal dash can be removed.

Now, (I think i have this right !!) the crash pad edge folds down and around the edge of the scuttle panel and pulled tight.

The metal dash is then put in place and screwed tot he scuttle panel http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr5-6/interior/dashboards-consoles/dash-crash-pads-fittings-tr5-6.html

So the crash pad is held in place by the metal dash screwed against the scuttle panel.

Have another G&T

Roger

• 1 year later...