A type overdrive problem

Hi guys,

Finally got around to looking into my o/drive fault, on removing the o/drive drain cap the filter fell out and revealed a bolt with a split pin through it, Are the magnets behind here once removed or am I delving too far, not a lot of oil came out and the filter was very clean, When I removed the g/box drain plug the magnet here had a few shards of metal on it, is this to be expected ? this allowed a bit more oil to drain away.

And in total I have only got about a litre and a half out I am hoping this will cute the fault once topped up correctly,

Thanks in advance

Duncan,

Hi Roger,

The original fault was not engaging when it did on excelleration it would drop out and then go back in and most recently clutch slipping on engagement,

Past replies were check the oil level so this is where I am,

I stated that I thought it was a split pin I could see but on closer inspection it was the two screw heads I was referring too,

It appears I have no magnets in place,

Regards,

Hi Duncan,

the magnets are flat round discs (like big washers)

#13 http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr2-4a/clutch-transmission-drivetrain/overdrives-components/overdrive-units-components-tr2-4a.html

Not engaging and dropping out is often an electrical fault.

What is the rubber boot like around the gear stick. I rigid is can press on the gearstick and push it out of gear.

Take it for a test drive with the tunnel removed

Roger

Roger,

Thanks for your help, It is not dropping in and out of gear only out of overdrive, I have refilled with new oil 2 litres and will try in the morning like you suggest with the tunnel off, With the ignition on I can hear the relay and solenoid working.

Regards

Duncan.

Yes the points are under the cap! It was just pulling in intermittently,sometimes not at all,but as soon as the points were cleaned I could hear the difference .I took my solenoid off from underneath by bending a spanner to 90 degs,cleaned and tried it on a battery before refitting.

I'm not sure I agree from an electrical and physics point of view unless coil turns get shorted together. Simple ageing, no.

Edited by peejay4A