Are all knobs the same size ?

Good afternoon all

Anyone know if the spherical Bakelite gear lever knob is the same across the early Triumph range?

I use a Triumph Herald example on my 4a but it does seem to be quite small, so I wondered if the TR4a has a larger knob?

Help appreciated

Regards

Kevin

Now here is a thing.....

Gear Knob with Part Number 131246 was used across the Triumph range of the period. TR4/4A/5/6, T2000 + commercials etc.

Research tells me they existed in either 1 7/16" (36.5mm) or 1 1/2" (38 mm) diameter with a moulded in steel or brass threaded insert. So for originality seek these sizes.

Morris Minor also had a 1 1/2" knob of the same design and thread but the threaded bit was a rubber mounted steel threaded insert, rather than the Triumph directly moulded in threaded metal insert.

The item 22B19, that comes from an Austin Morris van, is sold for use on TR & is originally 1 5/8" (42 mm) diameter. In recent years an item just under that size has been supplied under that part number through the usual suspects with a glued/moulded threaded insert. (about 40.5mm)

I am guilty of adding the 22B19 item to the Cox & Buckles part number range. When was continually asked for an original type screw-on black spherical gear knob, that was the only thing I could find that did the job, and so the number stuck in the Moss database of parts.

As we all know the threaded gear knob is most desirable, unless you are happy that the knob will come off in your hand when doing spirited gear changes or just selecting reverse.

PM me if you want more info.

Peter W

Hi Peter

According to the Canley Classics website, the part number for the Herald version is indeed the number you stated:-

131246 GEAR KNOB ROUND BLACK

...and no longer available. It could be that I have the 1 7/16" version rather than 1 1/2", as it appears to be slightly too small in proportion to the diameter of the gear lever of the TR4a.

I assume the Morris version is from the early Minor ? ..as the later type from about 1964 on had more of a bullet shaped item similar to the Mini with marked gear positions.

I'll see which size is fitted to my 4a, and whether it has a fixed thread without the rubber insert, and drop you a PM. I am certain I took it from a totally rotten ''66 Herald 1200, but oddly the earlier versions shown on the Canley Classics website, for the 948cc and 1200cc show a different shaped gear knob, with the spherical version shown only in the parts list for the later 13/60 with the revised front end as per link.

https://www.canleyclassics.com/triumph-herald-13/60-gear-shift-mechanism

Thanks for the info.

Regards

Kevin

Hi Bob

On this link to the Moss site it shows two types available for the pre - 4/4a car as a push on for the TR2 and screw on I assume for the TR3, but spherical only on the TR4 and 4a. The TR3 pear shape type looks to be available so I take it you can also fit these to TR2 with some work?

http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr2-4a/clutch-transmission-drivetrain/gearboxes-components/gearboxes-external-components-tr2-4a.html

As Peter said above the 22B19 for the TR4a is actually the Morris Minor version.

Regards

Kevin

Hi Bob

On this link to the Moss site it shows two types available for the pre - 4/4a car as a push on for the TR2 and screw on I assume for the TR3, but spherical only on the TR4 and 4a. The TR3 pear shape type looks to be available so I take it you can also fit these to TR2 with some work?

http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr2-4a/clutch-transmission-drivetrain/gearboxes-components/gearboxes-external-components-tr2-4a.html

As Peter said above the 22B19 for the TR4a is actually the Morris Minor version.

Regards

Kevin

You can fit a TR2/3/3A knob on a TR4/4A stick but it will not stay there. Early car sticks are 7/16" diameter and TR4 onwards are 5/16" diameter thread.

Yes Morris Minor & 1000 1959 - 1964.

22B19 is not original Morris Minor, it is some Austin Morris commercial like a Sherpa or J2.

Peter W