1972 TR6 running lumpy and hesitant

Hi, I am looking for some help and this is my first foray into the TR Register Forum.

My TR6 seems to be running lumpy/hesitant from idle up to around 2.5k revs. Throttle response doesn't seem to be as crisp as it was before. The car was running fine, sat for maybe 4/6 weeks without a proper drive out then developed this problem. Higher up the rev range it seems to sound okay.

I have a coolant leak from somewhere front nearside which I think may be the top hose but thats a seperate issue which should be easily found/fixed and possibly unrelated to the above.

I am new to the classic car world and would very much appreciate some help and advice. Also if someone has experienced a similar problem. Prior to me inheriting the car off my grandfather he had mentioned the plugs get quite sooty upon inspection at MoT. I am very much into cars/classics but I am ashamed to say that my technical knowledge is lacking and didn't get enough time with my grandfather to learn about the mechanical side. Bodywork I am good with as that was his trade.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

First port of call after a lay up would be either ignition electrics ok or injector air lock. If you remove the injector plates, the plates between each pair of injectors, start the car and remove each in turn over a jar or equivalent you should see a regular pulse of petrol hopefully cone shaped light mist. If any don't there's your problem. Fix pms are here as it's a common niggle. Try his first as it's only takes a couple of minutes and report back.

First port of call after a lay up would be either ignition electrics ok or injector air lock. If you remove the injector plates, the plates between each pair of injectors, start the car and remove each in turn over a jar or equivalent you should see a regular pulse of petrol hopefully cone shaped light mist. If any don't there's your problem. Fix pms are here as it's a common niggle. Try his first as it's only takes a couple of minutes and report back.

Okay Thanks, I will have a look at that this evening and report back.

Hi Dan,

Welcome to the forum and TR'ing.

If the PI hoses are all pulsing, I would measure the ignition points gap. And check the static timing with a light bulb, it should be around 10-12 BTDC.

There will be youtubes but its much easier to have an experienced TRR member show you how. Where are you?

Peter

Welcome to the forum Dan!

One (fun) thing to try is to take it for an italian tuneup....... ie a good blast!

You might add some redex to the fuel beforehand, even with my engine running great i've often found redex made it better, especially if it has been sitting.

The lucas pi doesnt like sitting and might just be a bit gummed up, so for the cost of some petrol and redex its worth going for a blast and see if the issue clears.

If it doesnt then look at ignition and then injectors as above.

Do you have points or an electronic conversion?

Regards

Steve

Hi Dan,

You say it ran well 4-6 weeks ago, so my first thought is that it is fuel related.

If your tank is half empty, fill her up with high octane fuel. The Italian Tune Steve has suggested may work too.

Good luck, you learn by doing and reading this great forum. There is a search function but searching can also be done using google, typically if you search for "triumph tr6 poor running" or similar on google, this forum shows up with several posts.

Regards,

Waldi

Edited by Waldi

I expect we all have had issues relating to this.

New plugs a great 1st start. Dodgy banjo seals form the MU fixed my personal version of this. Electronic ignition helped (for a little while) too.

Dan, Try the tongue test, you might have split diaphragm in the MU that will make it run rich:

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=34963&st=0&p=261520&hl=tongue&&do=findComment&comment=261520

Peter

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the lack of updates, I have been flat out with work so the TR6 hasn't had a full investigation. Thank you all for your suggestions, I had a friend who is part of the TR club take a brief look and the plugs seam to be okay, so I am going to take a look at injectors today and see if one of those is blocked.

Plugs have been changed to NGK items. Seems to run better however after doing this work I went for a small test drive. Smelt a burning smell and see a bit of smoke from the rear of the engine up towards manifold/head area. Looks more like the Manifold side of the engine right at the back. Could this be linked to changing spark plugs? Does anyone have any ideas?