New TR6 project - half the work already done

No support it under the chassis rails at the point where the drive shafts are. Same at the front.

Stuart.

The front is resting on the wheels and I've kept the scissor lift just nudged up against the chassis for extra support so I'm guessing the cars weight is pretty evenly spread along these 3 points.

150928494331715.jpg

150928504968741.jpg

Edited by EliTR6

Interesting project.

A lot of the stuff that I'm doing currently.

My car came from CA last year and it's rock hard and original, I,ve started with the engine for some reason

That ramp looks interesting, where did you get it and at what sort of cost?

The front is resting on the wheels and I've kept the scissor lift just nudged up against the chassis for extra support so I'm guessing the cars weight is pretty evenly spread along these 3 points.

150928494331715.jpg

150928504968741.jpg

Take the wood blocks out and use the "V" tops of the stands to engage better on the chassis.You may well find that height is too much for handling the diff out easily.

Stuart.

Stuart.

Take the wood blocks out and use the "V" tops of the stands to engage better on the chassis.You may well find that height is too much for handling the diff out easily.

Stuart.

Stuart.

I found out the hard way... :lol: Not helped by one of the diff bushes deciding to get stuck half way. And I got a nice knock on the noggin' courtesy of the piece of wood I was using to keep the diff wedged into the car. Live and learn!

The wood is hard and the car feels very stable. I was worried the deep V would damage the chassis.

150929249149890.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I'm waiting for Stoneleigh to buy the next bits and bobs for the TR (and am flat broke right now anyway, cue the violin)

Seems a shame to dismantle all the suspension so soon but it might be a good idea to get a head start removing the old bushes and checking everything for wear.

What else can I do in the meantime? Cheers

What else can I do in the meantime? Cheers

What else can you do at this time?

Use a wire brush to polish the metal around the base of the right front diff mount pin.

What you are looking for is a crack in the metal.

When you find it, weld it closed (or hire a mobile welder to come to your garage).

Grind the weld smooth, then weld a support plate (shown in photo) over top.

Since you may not want to remove your good mounting bracket, you can split a metal washer in half, and weld that as a pin base support.

Then, have the welder weld onto the front mounting bracket(s)(both brackets) sides, side support braces (as shown in the photo).

This is called "boxing in the front diff mounts".

This will reinforce the diff mounting from the twisting torque upon engaging vehicle motion. And, help prevent that "clunk" in the drive train.

Cheers,

Walt

post-13442-0-56038100-1510405561_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sapphire72