Power Steering Failure Advice please

My TR7 V8 with a genuine TR8 right hand drive rack has given up the ghost...I think..

Works fine when turning to the right but with a sort of "click" at first movement...but to the left doesn't seem to work at all, I've tried a couple of the usual suspect "snake-Oils" neither of which have had any effect other than to remove a few quid out of my wallet,

I have no leaks..no untoward noises just worked one day then not the next

Any advice?

Also if I require a refurbed rack..has anybody done this and can anybody offer a walk-through so as I dont waste my time removing items that Mr Haynes seens to think I need to , when in fact I could have managed without so doing??

Cheers

Bonnietiler

• 3 weeks later...

I guess you described the behaviour of the steering with engine running, i.e. with oilpressure in the system.

How does it behave without engine running. Obviously the steering will be very hard. (You could lift the front of the car to remove weight from the wheels)

If without oilpressure there is no difference between left and right (both beeing hard!) the the problem lies in the hydraulic control system when turning the steering Wheel.