OverDrive Inhibit switches

Hi Folks,

yesteraday I was reading a very(1953 ish) old NdV Laycock OD manual - it only refers to TS20 and Vanguards.

In the section regarding the inhibit switches it made comment of the 16mm threads.

There has been a lot of discussion about the switch thread as the it measures 5/8" x 13tpi. This thread form does not exist as a standard thread - OK they can be quite easily made (at a price).

Now in the days of imperial measurements why do Laycock refer to 16mm.

Just to confuse it further the thread pitch is not the standard 2mm BUT 1.95mm Not a lot of difference but a difference all be it.

So no further down the road for this rather odd situation but at least the manufacturers were aware of this oddity.

Roger

It also comments about not bothering with OD on 2nd and 3rd as the OD ratio is the same as the gear difference.

Hi Roger

I think I found the manual to which you referred. Maybe it was the manufacturer of the switches who decided to use a metric thread. Were the switches made by a foreign company? I also came across a motorcycle forum on threads and discovered metric threads were used as far back as 1939 in Britain.

It is a mystery wrapped in an enigma especially when you find out that the bloke who invented the Laycock overdrive, Edgar de Normanville, was actually British!

Kevin

• 4 years later...

Hi Folks,

I'm resurrecting this thread as it is doing a turn on another club forum and a thought came to me.

The thread form is 5/8" diameter x 13tpi - this can be measured  quite accurately. It obviously exists but is a special.

The designer could have used half a dozen standard threads to work perfectly.

Could he have use 13tpi because nobody else did and it may help to protect his patent.

Curious

Roger

2 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi Folks,

I'm resurrecting this thread as it is doing a turn on another club forum and a thought came to me.

The thread form is 5/8" diameter x 13tpi - this can be measured  quite accurately. It obviously exists but is a special.

The designer could have used half a dozen standard threads to work perfectly.

Could he have use 13tpi because nobody else did and it may help to protect his patent.

Curious

Roger

Possible or he just happened to have that size to hand :lol:

Stuart.

4 hours ago, RogerH said:

Or they were just trying to make sure that they were the sole supplier of replacement switches.

On 8/18/2017 at 8:19 AM, boxofbits said:

I also came across a motorcycle forum on threads and discovered metric threads were used as far back as 1939 in Britain.

BA threads were originally proposed to the British Association in 1884, and formally adopted in 1903. They were based on metric measurements, converted to inches and rounded to the nearest thou! 

https://www.sizes.com/library/technology/thread_BA1.htm

Pete

Edited by stillp