I've come across this mystery bracket on my 3A.

It's attached to the Tie Rod for the steering column to fascia stay. It lines up with the trip counter resetting control

but there is no means of securing it to the fascia ~ it just rests on the fascia.

This bracket is not shown in the Moss catalogue.

Any ideas?

Tom.

Edited by Fireman049

IIRC I think it goes to the back of the dash where the trip reset cable comes down.

Stuart.

It was part of the upgrade from the early cars when they added the extra bracing to stop the column vibrating.

Stuart.

Hi Stuart #

Yes I can see the logic in the bracing stay but not that small bracket.

Tom.

The dash is fairy flimsy at that point with the two holes for the speedo and the "U" for the column, early TR2`s used to split the dash by the "U" area.

Foster's photo shows it to be bolted to a hole next to the speedo trip reset hole,

also interesting to see that the reset hole is present under both of the large instrument locations.

Bob.

Hi Tom

perhaps this will help, RHD version

post-7533-0-21203400-1503057006_thumb.jpg

Iain

PS why do the images Rotate when you upload...how do you correct?

Edited by iain

Foster's photo shows it to be bolted to a hole next to the speedo trip reset hole,

also interesting to see that the reset hole is present under both of the large instrument locations.

Bob.

Dont forget that the speedo and rev counter were reversed during TR2 production so presumably the holes were doubled as a result.

Stuart.

Am I correct in thinking that the trip reset cable should not come through the hole in the dash and that the small bracket should be bolted to the hole?

Tom.

Yes Tom if the speedo you are fitting is the cast case type. The pressed steel case type position the trip reset differently.

Well at least on my car....

Peter W

Hi Peter W ~

Thank you for that. My speedo. is a pressed steel type. Have you a photo. showing the position of your trip reset ?

Tom.

Will get in the garage and photo two instruments for you Tom.

The trip reset cable just dangles down rather than being supported in the dash edge hole.

Peter W

Attached pdf view of two types of speedo case - position of trip reset moves about 3/4" meaning it will be in wrong place to go through the support hole in the dash flange, if you use pressed steel case speedo instead on cast case. - You can not even bend it enough to work nicely.....

Speedo trip resets.pdf

Peter W

PS the steel case speedo is rocking horse poo as it is a KPH unit. - Not for sale.

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT