TR4-A exports to the US?

I am rubbish at this but searched the Internet and could not find the number of TR4A's exported to the US. I'd also like to know how many are still on the road there. I know DVLA says around 750 on the road here....but that number is probably a guess, too. Authority help wanted!

Ron

Hi Ron

not exactly what you are looking for but if you havent seen it, this is a decent starting point

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/tr-buyers-guides/triumph-tr4-4a

Contacting the TR4/4A registrar may also help

Good luck

Ian

I seem to remember that 75% of the TR4A produced were for the US market. BP global figures below shows export + CKD so that would provide a rough estimate of 21,000 to the US?

post-11469-0-54264200-1502937700_thumb.jpg

Edited by Geko

I would have thought that the DVLA figures would be correct as they have a record of all TR's currently registered with a V5 the number on a SORN and how many are currently taxed, MOT'd and insured

I would have thought that the DVLA figures would be correct as they have a record of all TR's currently registered with a V5 the number on a SORN and how many are currently taxed, MOT'd and insured

Unfortunately the DVLA figures are not that accurate - and the main reason is that when manual records were transfered to a computer (manual input) the people inputting the data were not that accurate, some TR's being recorded as Triumph Sports, amongst other things.........

Several years ago I compiled DVLA, SMMT and other providers data for the TR Register as part of the marketing plan

Ian

There's a bit of TR4A information on the US Vintage Triumph Register site, if you haven't seen it, Ron. They note a total of 28465 TR4As from 1965-1967. There are a lot in collectors hands here, both on the road and squirreled away in garages and barns. It wouldn't surprise me to hear there were 5000 TR4As here in one state or another.

http://vintagetriumphregister.org/tr4a/

There's a bit of TR4A information on the US Vintage Triumph Register site, if you haven't seen it, Ron. They note a total of 28465 TR4As from 1965-1967. There are a lot in collectors hands here, both on the road and squirreled away in garages and barns. It wouldn't surprise me to hear there were 5000 TR4As here in one state or another.

http://vintagetriumphregister.org/tr4a/

Thanks for that Don. After reading the article and the following bit:

• CTC 78684 – last TR4A, built July 10, 1967.
  • I pulled out my registration documents for my 4A and found my chassis number recorded as CTC 78745 quite a few later than the last one made.
  • Then went and had a look at the commission plate on the car where the actual number said CTC 78406.

I bought the car from interstate in December of that year and took it over the pits for local registration pretty close to Christmas.

Suspect it was the day after the registration people's Christmas party!

(Will have to see if I can get it corrected.)

It gets murkier.

Looked up the old rego certificate from the PO, from when I bought the car interstate, and it has CTC 78745 down as the chassis number.

Be interesting to see if the rego people are interested, looks like they prefer checking papers rather than the actual item.