Now I know there has been a lot of debates about 185/70/15 v 195/65/15 for fitting to the TR6, Ive decided that I'm going the 185 route thinking the increased should height will give a slightly more compliant ride for my old bones BUT main choice here seems to be the Vredestien Sprint classic or the Michelin XWK i've no doubt that ultimately the Michelin is the better tyre but is it a 2 1/2 times better the the Vred tyre? I suspect not, and I think I know where I'm spending my money but anybody have any thoughts ?.

I have the 185/70 15 vredestiens on my 3a (TR6 steel wheels) that I drive too and from the tr sprint and hill climb events and use on the events.

I think they are great road tyres and cope with what I throw at them on track too.

I know others use them and are very happy with them.

H

165s are too narrow for 6" wheels, 5-1/2" being the limit.

I've got the Michelin XWX on my '250 with 6" Panasports. Much, much crisper than the 195/65 Pilots before and actually smoother at the same pressures ( 25/27 ). This may be the pinnacle fitment, but they are expensive ( price did come down $100 per this year ).

post-1059-0-34134000-1502823027_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Tom

Hi all just asking what would best the best tyres for 6 inch wheels on a tr6 ,been told 195x15 ,sorry to hijack the thread.

Nick

I use 195/65/15 Yokohamas on mine and they are very good

Stuart.

post-3753-0-28919700-1502871134_thumb.jpg

I use 195/65/15 Yokohamas on mine and they are very good

Stuart.

I have 195/65 Yokohamas on 15in Minators on my 2500 saloon and they have proven themselves to be very good. Been on since 2013 and done around 20,000 mostly hard miles in that time. All tyres still have at least 3-4mm tread, although the fronts are more worn on the edges and the rears more worn in the middle. Thinking about swapping the pairs front to back to even it out a bit, but as I say, very impressed with tyre performance on what is a much heavier car than a TR.

Matt

Edited by matt george

I have 195/65 Yokohamas on 15in Minators on my 2500 saloon and they have proven themselves to be very good. Been on since 2013 and done around 20,000 mostly hard miles in that time. All tyres still have at least 3-4mm tread, although the fronts are more worn on the edges and the rears more worn in the middle. Thinking about swapping the pairs front to back to even it out a bit, but as I say, very impressed with tyre performance on what is a much heavier car than a TR.

Matt

What Pressure are you running in the Rear,you may just have too much as that is often the cause of Tread Wear in the Centre.

Vredestien classic sprints 185x70x 15 for me and are in favour of a few in NLG. Drove around Spa in torrential rain with out a murmur and I was pushing it.Really impressed and felt like I was on the dry. I had 195x65x15 but wanted a tyre to fill out the wheel arch better and these do.

Regards Harry

I have the 185/70 15 vredestiens on my 3a (TR6 steel wheels) that I drive too and from the tr sprint and hill climb events and use on the events.

I think they are great road tyres and cope with what I throw at them on track too.

I know others use them and are very happy with them.

H

Are you using standard steering box or rack and pinion with the wider wheels?

For a sidescreen car for road use 165 is plenty wide enough.Especially with a standard steering box.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

Hi

Yes it will be nicer to drive on a 165HR15. It will be more comfortable and progressive with a faster turn in. just all round lighter and more sprightly.

Fatter 185/70R15 tyres are more for the point and squirt driver. they will cut down wheel spin and improve dry braking.

You can stretch a 165 onto a 6" rim, but it would be better on a 5.5" or 5" really.

Loads of people like a fatter tyre because they think it looks more hairy chested. this is an interesting article comparing the options of tyre in the size 185/70VR15. http://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/page/classic-porsche-tyres

that article is from an independent German magazine so it doesn't have a side.

to be honest i was stunned when they rated the Vredestein over the Michelin, but that is only in the wet, I wonder what the date codes on the Michelin were? I have taken Vredestein off 2 cars and fitted Michelin XAS (not the XWX they are testing) and they miles better.

Personally if i had a TR6 i would fit either 165HR15 Michelin XAS http://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/page/165hr15-michelin-xas.htmlor 165VR15 Cinturato CN36 http://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/page/165vr15-pirelli-cinturato-cn36-n4.html

I have driven my friends TR6 that we fitted with the 185/70VR15 Cinturato CN36 (because he had 6" rims) and they were great tyres. the fact it is a period Tyre still keeps its handling pretty progressive even though it is a little over tyred. however it was just miles nicer than driving on a 195/65R15

Hi I have a very good and precise steering box with bronze bushed steering arms.

It's only a bit heavy manovering in very tight spots. On the move it's fine.

(I had the 165 vredestiens on my previous classic an Sp250 and they where fine)

H

Hi

Fatter 185/70R15 tyres are more for the point and squirt driver. they will cut down wheel spin and improve dry braking.

Loads of people like a fatter tyre because they think it looks more hairy chested.

Well this must be me then !!! Sprints and hillclimbs probably are "point and squirt"

And your experience and knowledge of your client base will I am sure have informed your hairy chested comment.

The xas and Cinturato are over priced in my humble opinion. And difficult to find.

Do you sell them Dougal. ?

Hi

They aren't difficult to find. just ask any classic tyre dealer.

Yep we sell them

http://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/page/165vr15-pirelli-cinturato-cn36-n4.html

&

http://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/page/165hr15-michelin-xas.html

And we ship them all over the world. (The world just gets smaller)

unconventional tyre sizes manufactured to the highest standards in small batches I'm afraid do amount to a large credit card bill. I can justify the price, but it is the sort of amount that does bruise your bank balance.

Sprint and hillclimb?? Avon ZZ's!!!!!!! CR36?????!!!???

Dougal will supply those too!!!

TB15's too.......

Tom